cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

creation of a force applied to a a round surface

SB_10673326
2-Guest

creation of a force applied to a a round surface

hello,

i would like to ask about the creation of the force on a round surface. L'ets say we have a cylinder  and a radial force is applied, ususally the force is perpondicular to the axe of the cyliner, but on creo simulate  this was not the case , visually the force was not perpondicular

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You might be able to keep the load in N but should you?

It really should be a  pressure because for a full circle load on a revolved shape Net Load is always 0N no matter what the magnitude of the pressure. (because every load has an opposite that cancels it)

SweetPeasHub_0-1694108005288.png

Also, if you cant actually measure it with for example an Instron tester, you are never able to correlate results. Think about how are you actually applying this load in real life. For example if you split the model into 4 surfaces you could then apply a force to each quadrant with 4 separate rams and the force would be along the ram axis and 4 force transducers could be used and the Simulation could be made to match the setup. You would need to learn how to split surfaces to do this 4 surface variant. If you want to split it into more and more divisions some type of pattern feature might help. This seems rather tedious to me. Academically, the test setup is not really discussed but for analysist in industry we try to think of how the actual test looks and is applied.

Here are a similar examples that come up in a google image search..

It should be simple enough to measure the Area of the surface you are applying the load to and put Force/Area = Pressure.

If you are doing design variants that vary the area, there are a few more steps to get the pressure to automatically adapt to the changes in Area.

Create a parameter for the load to apply in N.

SweetPeasHub_2-1694108921125.png

Not in simulate, create an analysis feature that measures the area.

SweetPeasHub_3-1694109030229.png

Its a good Idea to move the area analysis to the footer so it is always calculated last (unless you have a reason for a specific point in the tree)

SweetPeasHub_5-1694109490077.png

FInd the parameter name for the measure of the area using the relations dialog.

(we don't need a relation we just need to get the naming)

SweetPeasHub_4-1694109214256.png

Finally stick your formula F/A right in the loads pressure magnitude

SweetPeasHub_1-1694108860070.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Please share your model or simplified representation of it (or at least images) showing the issue you describe. Otherwise, I can imagine a few things that might help, each different dependent on the details.

Cheers

hello, thank you for replying

here is the picture 

the force is supposed to be perpondicular to the ax of the cylinder

Quiz: There are 5 ways to apply force loads in Creo Simulate. Three of them will have the force perpendicular to a cylinder axis (follow the applied surface normals) and two of them will not. What are the 3 ways?

1. Force - Cartesian csy
  2. Force - Cylindrical csy
  3. Force - Spherical csy
  4. Pressure
  5. Bearing

SweetPeasHub_0-1694087603173.png

hello and thank you for replying

can you please explqin more how to apply the force load in cylindrical csy

thank you

okay i did the force load in a cylindrical csy and it is acting like a pressure, how can i do it and keep the load in Newtons please

You might be able to keep the load in N but should you?

It really should be a  pressure because for a full circle load on a revolved shape Net Load is always 0N no matter what the magnitude of the pressure. (because every load has an opposite that cancels it)

SweetPeasHub_0-1694108005288.png

Also, if you cant actually measure it with for example an Instron tester, you are never able to correlate results. Think about how are you actually applying this load in real life. For example if you split the model into 4 surfaces you could then apply a force to each quadrant with 4 separate rams and the force would be along the ram axis and 4 force transducers could be used and the Simulation could be made to match the setup. You would need to learn how to split surfaces to do this 4 surface variant. If you want to split it into more and more divisions some type of pattern feature might help. This seems rather tedious to me. Academically, the test setup is not really discussed but for analysist in industry we try to think of how the actual test looks and is applied.

Here are a similar examples that come up in a google image search..

It should be simple enough to measure the Area of the surface you are applying the load to and put Force/Area = Pressure.

If you are doing design variants that vary the area, there are a few more steps to get the pressure to automatically adapt to the changes in Area.

Create a parameter for the load to apply in N.

SweetPeasHub_2-1694108921125.png

Not in simulate, create an analysis feature that measures the area.

SweetPeasHub_3-1694109030229.png

Its a good Idea to move the area analysis to the footer so it is always calculated last (unless you have a reason for a specific point in the tree)

SweetPeasHub_5-1694109490077.png

FInd the parameter name for the measure of the area using the relations dialog.

(we don't need a relation we just need to get the naming)

SweetPeasHub_4-1694109214256.png

Finally stick your formula F/A right in the loads pressure magnitude

SweetPeasHub_1-1694108860070.png

thank you very much for your help this information  is very useful, i appreciate it, thank you for your time 

Your welcome, I am glad to be of assistance. Answering questions helps me keep my pencil sharp. Thanks for marking my answer as a solution!

Top Tags