cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

7.1 woes

TimSharp
6-Contributor

7.1 woes

Have other people have had similar problems to us? These are support issues, but I thought it might stimulate a debate! We love the new Thumbnail feature for Windows Explorer, but otherwise there are too many drawbacks with the new version. We've gone back to 7.0 this week - of course we'll have to save all the drawings we've done back in 7.0 format. We were only on 7.1 for a couple of days but this is the list of problems we encountered (we upgraded to M010 and have 4 licences of Isodraw Foundation and one of CADprocess). 1. In CADprocess, when a drawing is converted to 2d, it will not load up on another computer running 7.1 Foundation. It gives a "This file is corrupted or written in an unknown format" error. The file loads fine on the CADprocess computer that it was created on. 2. CADprocess now crashes often when loading largish files. 7.0 does not have the problem with the same files. 3. New "Last open and save file locations retained" feature. What's the logic of this? We've now mistakenly saved drawings in the wrong place lots of times - it doesn't seem to work like other Windows programs now so why change something we're used to. If there was a setting to use the new way or the old way that would be OK, but to just make such a change with no options is disconcerting. 4. It runs much slower now when you have a bitmap on screen to trace from. 5. The Delete Select Points function (F5). Often when you select a line and press F5, the point circles appear briefly and then disappear - you have to zoom in or pan to make them reappear. 6. Selecting items using the shift key to add items to selection. As you select extra items, some of those already selected look like they de-select, though they are in fact still selected - it seems to be a display problem.
15 REPLIES 15

Hello Tim, here are the points where I assist you – some of the points I can’t reproduce.
[*:187cf5bb9d]n/a [*:187cf5bb9d]CADprocess now crashes often … => I can’t reproduce it – contrariwise I’ve got the feeling it works steady … but … sometimes it seems to be crashed down. It occurs no “hourglass� or “progress bar� while converting but it still works. [*:187cf5bb9d]New "Last open and save file locations retained" feature. … => this is a big, big points which I’ve discussed several times with members of the support staff. I’ve got the feeling that now they’re reflecting about …. [*:187cf5bb9d]n/a [*:187cf5bb9d]n/a [*:187cf5bb9d]Selecting items using the shift key to … => this was a problem of “F000� they told me and should be solved in M010. I tried it out and I think it is really gone away.
Best regards Markus
TimSharp
6-Contributor
(To:mbalko)

Thanks for your reply Markus. 1. CADprocess now crashes often. We found this when loading large 3d files - it just hung for ages - many minutes after 7.0 would have loaded up the same drawing. We did do the 4gb memory update for 7.0, perhaps 7.1 doesn't use this or needs it updating again? 3. New "Last open and save file locations retained" feature. … I'm glad they are pondering this - perhaps a setting somewhere to use the new way or the old way would satisfy everyone. 6. Selecting items using the shift key to … Just tested this again and it still does it when you are in preview mode. It seems to depend on how far you are zoomed in. We do our drawings on A4 and scale our vehicles down to this size to work on them. It's as though the drawing lines on screen are repainted again as soon as f5 is pressed, so they obscure the little circles.

Hi Tim, I am sorry that you experienced these difficulties. It is very helpful that you provided a detailed list of items which you are challenged with. It can be used to work through and solve things. I recommend that you assure that a support representative walks through your list with you, resulting in properly routed support cases. Here my comments so far. Save paths We heard from several customers being annoyed by the scenario to open a file from location A and then traverse through long network paths to either save as or export every time. This lead to the enhancement that these paths are now considered by IsoDraw. Once you navigate to another location, this new path is saved instead. With "save as" this means, once opened from location A and traversed with "save as" to the same location A, you should next time automatically be guided to A with both actions. I keep my eyes open if this system is something, more customers have difficulties with. Screen redraw IsoDraw 7.1. was completely switched to OpenGL. There may be various settings depending on the different hardware / software, which could cause trouble. In IsoDraw you can try is to switch off the "Use buffered drawing" option in the preferences redraw panel. Crashes First thing is to check the installation. If this is correct a deeper look into the data can help. A support representative will help you with this. A sample file that makes it reproducible usually speeds up that process. CADprocess to Foundation 2D files from CADprocess should open in Foundation. If not, I recommend to let support know. Sample and brief description of scenario should help. regards, Christian

Thanks Christian When I get chance, I'll have a work through your suggestions. We're too busy at the moment so have to get on with our work! No problem going back to 7.0 for now.

We are have the same problems here and we have gone back to 7.0. I have a call in on your #1 " In CADprocess, when a drawing is converted to 2d, it will not load up on another computer running 7.1 Foundation. It gives a "This file is corrupted"

"Glenn Dutcher" wrote:

We are have the same problems here and we have gone back to 7.0. I have a call in on your #1 " In CADprocess, when a drawing is converted to 2d, it will not load up on another computer running 7.1 Foundation. It gives a "This file is corrupted"

Christian, I had a call and web-x with Dan Nowitz and showed him the import/save/fail to reopen. The call# is C7271761

Hi Tim, This makes interesting reading regarding the problems your having with the latest upgrade to 7.1. We are currently using v7.0 but have had annoying issues relating to hanging in the middle of a full zoom command, raster editing and no undo, as well as save issues with a tilda~ in front of pathname. We have had no resolution to any of our queries and were hoping they would be resolved in the next upgrade. This dosn't look like it is going to be the case. I reckon we will stick to v7.0 until we get a better view on what is happening with Isodraw. thanks Russ Trim

"Russell Trim" wrote:

Hi Tim, This makes interesting reading regarding the problems your having with the latest upgrade to 7.1. We are currently using v7.0 but have had annoying issues relating to hanging in the middle of a full zoom command, raster editing and no undo, as well as save issues with a tilda~ in front of pathname. We have had no resolution to any of our queries and were hoping they would be resolved in the next upgrade. This dosn't look like it is going to be the case. I reckon we will stick to v7.0 until we get a better view on what is happening with Isodraw. thanks Russ Trim

anonymous wrote:

Selecting items using the shift key to add items to selection. As you select extra items, some of those already selected look like they de-select, though they are in fact still selected - it seems to be a display problem.

I have to admit that we haven't switched to 7.1 yet. We have done some testing. My initial hold back was because of selected items appearing to deselect. The fix, for us, was simple. In preferences, under <Redraw>, the default setting was to have "Use buffered drawing" selected. In our case, when we deselected that option, the problem resolved.

Our company switched to 7.1 several months ago as I was experiencing loss of parts when projecting to 2D in 7.0. While that issue appears to be resolved with 7.1, right now we are experiencing new problems that others are having. I often have a system crash on large assemblies unless I take the time to select assemblies first and eliminate a fair amount of data. I did not experience the system crash with 7.0 on large assemblies. Another issue I am having is hardware not to scale. For instance when I bring in ProE data(WF3) capscrews, o-rings, washers etc. will be 2-3X larger then necessary. Another thing I am seeing is difficulty in finding a happy medium when projecting to 2D. Either the settings are leaving too much detail in or the objects come in with distortions in bezier paths. Of course if I eliminate the bezier paths that helps but then I have more work/cleanup of line entities to keep file size down.

We've only run into your last comment as to having problems finding a happy medium for projecting to 2D. We worked with PTC on the issue. Turns out that they had run into this with other companies. The fix was to alter the recipe file that is used on our visualization server. We were using the edz export from ProductView to get our models and this cleaned up the export. The three lines shown below were tacked on. They also said that ver=4 might have to be changed to ver=5. This last change would be needed if there was a crash during export. In our case, it did not. adapter/useProETess=0 adapter/outputAnalytical=0 adapter/outputPView=900

"Christopher Dabrowski" wrote:

Our company switched For instance when I bring in ProE data(WF3) capscrews, o-rings, washers etc. will be 2-3X larger then necessary. Another thing I am seeing is difficulty in finding a happy medium when projecting to 2D. Either the settings are leaving too much detail in or the objects come in with distortions in bezier paths. Of course if I eliminate the bezier paths that helps but then I have more work/cleanup of line entities to keep file size down.

Similar issues and we are going back to 7.0 as well.
Top Tags