cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

ACL - Missing Argument while using execute function and an acl command

ED_9927023
7-Bedrock

ACL - Missing Argument while using execute function and an acl command

Objective: To pass in variable into substitute command. ex: execute("substitute 'src'dst'")

Problem: Arbortext $ERROR says its parsing error claiming a missing variable. However testing response($outputVariable) provides the expected value output to the screen. Leading to confusion on why I can see I have the correct value, and the substitute functions works when using a dummy hardcoded string value, but not when passing in a value retrieved from a dictionary I created using another text file. 

The Process:

I have two files.

1 text file  & 1 xml file.

open text file

create an associative array (dictionary) from the key/value pairs in the text file. 

close text file

>>> key/value access is successful. response($outputVariable) function displays expected value.

open xml file

perform substitution

close xml file

>>> If i place a dummy s tring value like a word "testing" then the substitution works flawlessly

>>> If i pass in the variable $outputValue captured from the dictionary the substitution fails.

>>>> $ERROR returns

"Error parsing command String: substitute <openingTag></closingTag ' <openingTag> expected output value ..." (the expected output value is truncated with an ellipses (...)

then states "Starting at command: </closingTag>'  [A11320] missing argument."

It's strange because $outputValue is pointing to the right value.

> the error message hints at substitute containing the desired value and executing correctly but instead fails.

> the error message says "missing argument" but I pass in an input text and a replacement text and my $outputValue variable contains the correct value.

$outputValue = $outputValueDictionary["key"]

$substituteCommand = "substitute -a -noe -ws '<openingTag></closingTag>'" . "<openingTag> $outputValue </closingTag>" . "'"

response($outputValue)

if (execute($substituteCommand) != 0) {
    response($ERROR)
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the attachment you can find the following documents for the 7.1 release:

• "SPR Fixes Included with Arbortext Editor and Arbortext Publishing Engine (7.1 F000)",
  • "SPR Fixes Included with Arbortext Editor and Arbortext Publishing Engine (7.1 M060)",
  • "Arbortext Command Language Reference (7.1 F000)",
  • "Arbortext Command Language Reference (7.1 M040)".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

What version of Arbortext are you using?

versions limited to whats approved for work so:

Currently using Epic Editor V6.1

In the next couple months we should be updating to V7.1

I keep thinking it has to do with the order of code compilation since it doesnt feel like its performing it sequentially line by (ACL commands vs functions thinking) But really I still can't grasp what could possibly be occurring.

In the attachment you can find the following documents for the 7.1 release:

• "SPR Fixes Included with Arbortext Editor and Arbortext Publishing Engine (7.1 F000)",
  • "SPR Fixes Included with Arbortext Editor and Arbortext Publishing Engine (7.1 M060)",
  • "Arbortext Command Language Reference (7.1 F000)",
  • "Arbortext Command Language Reference (7.1 M040)".

Would there have been this issue resolved in a later version? Im curious if this was actually a bug because there doesn't seem to be an approach I can take that works using the two files in a script.

plutsky
13-Aquamarine
(To:ED_9927023)

I think you have the wrong syntax for the substitute command.  It is expecting a "/" character as the separator.

"substitute [ -b | -f] [ -c | -noc] [ -a] [ -e | -noe] [ -wrapscan | -nowrapscan] [ -q | -noq] [ -markup] /oldtext/newtext/"

Top Tags