cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Arbortext 6.0/6.1-Remote Desktop Access

kdavidson
1-Newbie

Arbortext 6.0/6.1-Remote Desktop Access

Rumor has it there has been a fix for the inability to work with 6.0 as it did with 5.3 with a locked license.

Does anyone have any documentation on how to access locked licenses with remote desktop in the newest iterations of Arbortext?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sorry I'm not sure about the documentation, but we have done this for a number of customers:

1. Trade in your fixed (locked) licenses for registered user licenses. This requires help from PTC license support.
  2. Install FlexNet Publisher licensing server and import registered user licenses.
  3. Update client machines to have PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE=7788@license-server
  4. Client machines now use the registered user licenses and Remote Desktop will work.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

I haven't heard about that Kyle, but in case it helps I can confirm we have solved this for our customers in one of two ways:

1. Use alternative remote desktop software (e.g. VNC)

2. Trade in locked licenses for registered user licenses (free swap offered by PTC)

How does the registered user licenses work? How do we set something up like that if necessary

Wow Gareth, I've never heard of Registered User Licenses. Several of our editors have multiple machines (laptop/desktop), but only ever use one at a time. Ever since the switch to FLEX, this has been an issue. I'll definitely have to check this out, thanks!

Oh, scratch that. I just read up, and it's still machine-locked, just server managed. So I guess that would be good for the Remote Desktop issue, but not for multi-machine/single-user. Good to know anyway.

No it's not machine locked. It is Registered User, meaning you nominate one user per license. They are then meant to check out their specific license to the machine they happen to be working on, but can't be working on two machines at once. You are correct that a licensing server is required to manage the licensing.

Is there any documentation available on this?

Sorry I'm not sure about the documentation, but we have done this for a number of customers:

1. Trade in your fixed (locked) licenses for registered user licenses. This requires help from PTC license support.
  2. Install FlexNet Publisher licensing server and import registered user licenses.
  3. Update client machines to have PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE=7788@license-server
  4. Client machines now use the registered user licenses and Remote Desktop will work.
rdiaz
5-Regular Member
(To:kdavidson)

Hi Kyle,

Were you able to get the license setup you were looking for?

Let us know!

Thanks.

Rafael

Top Tags