cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Arbortext 6.0 M050 buffer_clipboard_contents command fails thru remote desktop

bbeetcher
1-Newbie

Arbortext 6.0 M050 buffer_clipboard_contents command fails thru remote desktop

This topic is being posted just in case it may help others debug a problem similar to that described here. The problem occurs only under remote access of the editor under a remote desktop or Citrix server environment where the editor window is presented on a local system but the editor process is running on a remote system. Feel free to ignore this posting if it doesn't apply to your environment.

There's no need for trying to help with further resolution of this problem because we have come up with a work around to it. The problem has been submitted to PTC Support under Case 11060550. That case is now closed because the problem couldn't be reproduced by PTC support. Because the problem may be a standing exposure for others without any fix in the works, it seemed potentially helpful to document it here where others may find this information through searching theis forum.

The remainder of this post is a clip from the symptoms section of the case referenced above:

One of our customizations of the editor is to add a menu option, "Paste Code Sample (XIS)," to the editor's Edit menu which provides for pasting what we think of as code examples. A key characteristic of this function is that it automatically converts certain characters to entities thereby avoiding the editor from interpreting any of the code as xml tags.

We've had this special menu option in place for a long time where it runs successfully in all environments using Arbortext Editor version 5.4 M40.

However, we recently upgraded to Arbortext Editor version 6.0 M050 and on that version of the editor this special menu option fails when the editor window is being presented on a system different from that where the editor process is running. That is, when the editor is run through a remote desktop configuration where the editor process is running on a remote machine but the editor window is presented on a local system hosting the remote desktop access, use of this special menu option fails to paste any content. This occurs for us for both the case of normal Windows Remote Desktop access of a system hosting the editor process and for access of the editor process through a Citrix server hosting the editor process.

This menu option internally calls an ACL function of ours that uses the editor's buffer_clipboard_contents command to capture the contents of the external system clipboard. Some debugging we've done seems to point to the root problem being that the buffer_clipboard_contents command fails to retrieve the current clipboard contents for the failing scenario I've described here.

For now, I've found a work around for the problem. That is, adding a blank message statement, message " ", at the start of the ACL function being called by the menu item somehow enables the function to run correctly. I have no idea why this corrects the problem.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Bob--

Wow, that's one strange workaround. Thanks for sharing. If I had to
guess, I'd say it might have something to do with window focus issues
interacting with the remote access environment. Anyway, good to know.

--Clay

Clay Helberg

Senior Consultant

TerraXML

Hi Bob,
Can you provide the various Windows versions associated with each side of
that remote conversation? On the off chance someone has a similar problem
that might help isolate it. Seconding Clay: Thanks for writing it up for
us! It is always nice to push these gems out into the ether for others (or,
in my case, for future-me since my memory isn't what it used to be).

Regarding the versions of the systems involved:

• For the case of the problem occurring through a Remote Desktop connection:

• Local system version: Windows 7 Enterpirse - Service Pack 1

• Remote system version: Windows 7 Enterpirse - Service Pack 1

• For the case of the problem occurring through a Citrix Server connection:

• Local system version: Windows 7 Enterpirse - Service Pack 1

• Remote system version: Windows Server 2008 R2

Top Tags