cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Arbortext: Showing JPGs as Huge

mschiesl
1-Newbie

Arbortext: Showing JPGs as Huge

I'm creating JPGs in Illustrator and Photoshop at 300dpi. They are showing up HUGE in my Arbortext Editor...but they print out fine.

My tech guy says newer versions of Photoshop output JPGs in a way that Arbortext does not display properly.

Is there a trick to fix this?

4 REPLIES 4

Here's a little more detail that my tech guy gave me.

"The version of arbortext we are using does not know how to read file dimensions  of jpgs created with the latest versions of photoshop. A few years ago the jpg standard changed a bit on how it recorded that info. For the longest photoshop uses both the old and new standard. Around photoshop 6 they stopped using the old at all. The 5.4 version of arbortext doesn’t know the new standard. "

These dimensions are known as the DPI (dots-per-inch). Most image formats have a way of embedding DPI information, and for JPEG that is normally a format known as EXIF. If you are trying to use JPEGs without EXIF information, or with some newer EXIF format then I guess that might cause issues with Arbortext.

I think your best course of action would be to pick one of the sample JPEGs that isn't working, and see if it still shows up wrong in the out-of-the-box "Arbortext Docbook" doctype. If it is wrong, then send it to PTC Support with simple instructions how to reproduce the problem.

I would note, however, that Arbortext 5.4 is no longer supported by PTC so you may not get the answer you want...

Side note: have you tried Arbortext 7.0? You should be able to get an evaluation license if you're so inclined. You could quickly check if the issue has been resolved in the last 10 years or so since 5.4 was released.

They changed something in Photoshop CS6. We had an issue with Isodraw last year with importing jpegs created in CS6 versus CS4. Refer to SPR2248857. We are using editor 7 and isodraw 7.3

Bryon

Place your mouse to the right of the graphic and modify attributes. Enable scalefit by selecting 1 from the drop down. When you print out, the graphic will resize to the document.

Top Tags