cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Are there minimum values for flexnet options?

RickSchoen
5-Regular Member

Are there minimum values for flexnet options?

I'm adding an options file for our flexnet license server. In the options file I want to specify a TIMEOUT option for our print composer license. The line I added is "TIMEOUT 284 300." 284 is the print composer module and 300 is the number of seconds after which the license is reclaimed. When I restart the license server and check the log file it tells me that the print composer has had a TIMEOUT set for 1200 seconds. Any value less than 1200 results in the same outcome. Any value greater than 1200 results in the actual value being used. Is 1200 the minimum amount of time for a TIMEOUT? Is there anyway to override this minimum?

Thanks,

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Rick--

You might have better luck with this issue by attacking it from the client side (Arbortext Editor) instead of trying to fix it in the license server configuration. There is an ACL function license_release() that will return a license to the license server. See the Help Center for information on that function. With a little ACL, you could attach it to a menu item, allowing your users to release the license when they are done composing, instead of having to wait for it to time out. If you want to get really fancy, you could even add it to a publishing framework hook to automatically release the license when the composition job is complete.

I think this topic has come up on the Adepters list before--you might find some useful info and/or code examples if you search the community message history.

--Clay

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

1200 is the minimum. You cannot go lower.

RickSchoen
5-Regular Member
(To:TimPhelps)

Can you tell me why there is an enforced minimum? Is there some programmatic reason for that?

RickSchoen
5-Regular Member
(To:TimPhelps)

I've been experimenting with lmutil lmremove to reclaim print composer license.

I was expecting that once there was 20 minutes of inactivity the license would be automatically relinquished but that does not happen. I discovered are that I can't remove the license until the 20 minute timeout period has elapsed. Also, if I leave the same Arbortext session open on the client machine and remove the license from that client, after about 1.5 minutes that client checks out the license automatically.

Are these all expected behaviors?

Hi Rick--

You might have better luck with this issue by attacking it from the client side (Arbortext Editor) instead of trying to fix it in the license server configuration. There is an ACL function license_release() that will return a license to the license server. See the Help Center for information on that function. With a little ACL, you could attach it to a menu item, allowing your users to release the license when they are done composing, instead of having to wait for it to time out. If you want to get really fancy, you could even add it to a publishing framework hook to automatically release the license when the composition job is complete.

I think this topic has come up on the Adepters list before--you might find some useful info and/or code examples if you search the community message history.

--Clay

RickSchoen
5-Regular Member
(To:ClayHelberg)

Clay,

Thanks very much the license_release() function has proved very useful.

Rick

Top Tags