cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

FOSI Table in Editor?

ptc-3050150
1-Newbie

FOSI Table in Editor?

Can I display a non-table on the screen?

Arbortext FOSI Reference PDF talks about translating non-table data into an informal table (page 120 - and the example runs off the page).

I can turn on gen text tags and the tags look great. Turn the tags off and I get the data I want, one row per line as <table>, one entry per line as <informaltable>. Mo tags, but just all squished to the left - no table columns.

I get the feeling I just spent a few hours figuring out something else FOSI won't actually display on the screen.

Here's the table source:

<usetext source="!&lt;table frame="all" id="temptable001" orient="port"&gt;&lt;tgroup cols="10"&gt;&lt;thead&gt;&lt;/thead&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col1"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col2"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col3"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col4"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col5"&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col6"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col7"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col8"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col9"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col10"&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;tbody&gt;!,table.app,!&lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/tgroup&gt;&lt;/table&gt;!" placemnt="after">
</usetext>
<reset resetlist="table.app">

Here's the row source:

<savetext textid="table.app" conrule="!&lt;row&gt;!,row.app,!&lt;/row&gt;!" placemnt="after" append="1">
<reset resetlist="row.app">

And here's an entry:

<savetext textid="row.app" conrule="!&lt;entry colname="col1"&gt;!,#CONTENT,!&lt;/entry&gt;!" append="1">

The outputted tags look great when turned on, looks great with tags turned off...but no columns. Am I just wasting my time trying?

John T. Jarrett
BAE Systems | Arbortext version 5.4 | LOGSA XSL-FO v 1.5

5 REPLIES 5

Hi John,

It sounds like one of your requirements is something other than just
*displaying* a generated table in the Edit Window. I think you describe
success at that. I can't quite tell what is not happening that you want to
happen, though.

Are you hoping to display the non-table tags in table layout so authors can
enter data "tabularly"?

Or is there some other goal I'm not understanding?

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM, John Jarrett
<->wrote:

> Can I display a non-table on the screen?
>
> Arbortext FOSI Reference PDF talks about translating non-table data into an
> informal table (page 120 - and the example runs off the page).
>
> I can turn on gen text tags and the tags look great. Turn the tags off and
> I get the data I want, one row per line as <table>, one entry per line as
> <informaltable>. Mo tags, but just all squished to the left - no table
> columns.
>
> I get the feeling I just spent a few hours figuring out something else FOSI
> won't actually display on the screen.
>
> Here's the table source:
>
> <usetext source="!&lt;table frame="all" id="temptable001"&lt;br /&gt;&gt; orient="port"&gt;&lt;tgroup cols="10"&gt;&lt;thead&gt;&lt;/thead&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&gt; &lt;colspec colname="col1"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col2"&gt;&lt;colspec&lt;br /&gt;&gt; colname="col3"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col4"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col5"&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&gt; &lt;colspec colname="col6"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col7"&gt;&lt;colspec&lt;br /&gt;&gt; colname="col8"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col9"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col10"&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&gt; &lt;tbody&gt;!,table.app,!&lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/tgroup&gt;&lt;/table&gt;!" placemnt="after">
> </usetext>
> <reset resetlist="table.app">
>
> Here's the row source:
>
> <savetext textid="table.app" conrule="!&lt;row&gt;!,row.app,!&lt;/row&gt;!" <br="/>> placemnt="after" append="1">
> <reset resetlist="row.app">
>
> And here's an entry:
>
> <savetext textid="row.app" conrule="!&lt;entry&lt;br /&gt;&gt; colname="col1"&gt;!,#CONTENT,!&lt;/entry&gt;!" append="1">
>
> The outputted tags look great when turned on, looks great with tags turned
> off...but no columns. Am I just wasting my time trying?
>
> John T. Jarrett
> BAE Systems | *Arbortext version 5.4 | *LOGSA XSL-FO v 1.5
>

Jarrett,

The FOSI doesn't actually control the display of the CALS table on the screen. Though you can modify it somewhat for look and feel, the actual building of the lines, sizing, columns and rows is sort of built in.

You're going about this in the correct way, however what's happening is that the "table" you're creating is broke. When the Editor attempts to display table markup that is out of context, it will show the entire table as tags slammed to the left. This is "normal" behavior.

If you look at your source code in the usetext, you have "...<thead></thead>...". You also build your "row.app" with a single entry ascolname="col1". Right off the bat, thead requires a minimum of one row. But if you're not going to have a <thead>,don't use it at all because it's optional.Since you're not spanning columns, EVERY row must have exactly ten entries since that is what you've defined in cols="10" in <tgroup>. Also, tgroup is suppose to contain the colspec elements before thead... I'll stop there... You need to methodically build your table from the ground up.

In the %arbortext install%l\entities folder, you'll find a DTD named "38784C.dtd". This DTD will show you the default model for the CALS table. When you build your psuedo table, you must keep the structure intact, or the Editor will not show you a graphic representation of the table. Play with generating a simple table first to ensure it's working for you the way you expect. Then modify it with the building of more columns, row.app, and so on.

Hope this helps,

Bob

In Reply to John Jarrett:

Can I display a non-table on the screen?

Arbortext FOSI Reference PDF talks about translating non-table data into an informal table (page 120 - and the example runs off the page).

I can turn on gen text tags and the tags look great. Turn the tags off and I get the data I want, one row per line as <table>, one entry per line as <informaltable>. Mo tags, but just all squished to the left - no table columns.

I get the feeling I just spent a few hours figuring out something else FOSI won't actually display on the screen.

Here's the table source:

<usetext source="!&lt;table frame="all" id="temptable001" orient="port"&gt;&lt;tgroup cols="10"&gt;&lt;thead&gt;&lt;/thead&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col1"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col2"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col3"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col4"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col5"&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col6"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col7"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col8"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col9"&gt;&lt;colspec colname="col10"&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;tbody&gt;!,table.app,!&lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/tgroup&gt;&lt;/table&gt;!" placemnt="after">
</usetext>
<reset resetlist="table.app">

Here's the row source:

<savetext textid="table.app" conrule="!&lt;row&gt;!,row.app,!&lt;/row&gt;!" placemnt="after" append="1">
<reset resetlist="row.app">

And here's an entry:

<savetext textid="row.app" conrule="!&lt;entry colname="col1"&gt;!,#CONTENT,!&lt;/entry&gt;!" append="1">

The outputted tags look great when turned on, looks great with tags turned off...but no columns. Am I just wasting my time trying?

John T. Jarrett
BAE Systems | Arbortext version 5.4 | LOGSA XSL-FO v 1.5

What I'd like on the screen is an actual table with column and row lines, with or without tags. The table contains parts and materials that are referenced many times per day and is very hard to read as just lines of tags. Here's a sample row - makes it hard to compare, say, half a dozen nuts, even when they are listed one after the other:

<expdur-entry id="ExMRS00004-73"><itemno>66</itemno><maintenance lvl="o"/"><nsn><fsc>9150</fsc><niin>00–186–6681</niin></nsn><name>OIL, LUBRICATING, OE/HDO 30 SAE 30)</name><desc>1 GALLON</desc><partno>MIL-L-2104</partno><cageno>81349</cageno><ui>QT</ui></expdur-entry>

What I've succeeded in doing is getting this with no tags:

66O915000-186-6681OIL, LUBRICATING, OE/HDO 301 GALLONMIL-L-210481349QT

But NOT in columns this:

| 66 | O | 9150-00-186-6681 | OIL, LUBRICATING, OE/HDO 30 | 1 GALLON | MIL-L-2104 | 81349 | QT |

My PDF output is XSL-FO and is fine so I could care less about printed output - just on the screen for the writers to use.

Thanks,

John T. Jarrett CDT
Tech Writer II, Tech Pubs, ILS, Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

T 832.673.2147 ext 1147 | M 512.736.7031 | -<">mailto:->
BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
www.baesystems.com

Thanks, Bob.

Some of that was just stuff I had tossed in there for testing (like <thead></thead>) - sorry I didn't remember to take it all out.

But, turning the gentexttags back on showed col2 didn't display, col3 was missing, and col7 was showing up before col6.

With those fixed it now displays as a table and not just a bunch of text!

Woohoo! Thanks again!

John T. Jarrett CDT
Tech Writer II, Tech Pubs, ILS, Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

T 832.673.2147 ext 1147 | M 512.736.7031 | -<">mailto:->
BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
www.baesystems.com

is BAE hiring?

_____
Top Tags