cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Graphic file type for Arbortext

ptc-5337999
1-Newbie

Graphic file type for Arbortext

Trying to figure out what type of file to use in our tech manuals. We will be using a 3d product model to generate images but our publushed tech manual (.pdf) will not be interactive (all images will publish as 2d, hopefully .tiffs). I want to be able to edit and update the graphics via creo illustrate throughout production but have no 3d interaction within the finished manual. Which file format do I want to generate from creo?

11 REPLIES 11

Maybe a better question would be... is there a way to turn off the interactivity or the interactive viewport in arbortext on a .pvz file?

I think you are going to be limited by the graphic entity characteristics contained in your DTD or schema. The best thing may be to create a sample file and try all the various graphic formats allowed and see which one works best. I think that 2D representation in a pdf is going to look pretty much the same no matter what type you use so perhaps you should determine which file type is easiest to use and maintain from the illustrator/tech writers point of view. Since PDfs are flat files, some type of raster image may be best (tif, jpeg, etc).

The engineers are still going to be making changes to our 3D model throughout our production of our manual. From what I understand, Creo will link files so that when a part in one file is changed, the changes will filter down through all the other 3D files that contain that part. I am trying to make sure that whatever graphics I put into the manual will still update when changes are made to the main model that it is linked to.

Rebecca

What I have seen is Creo (3D) >> IsoDraw (2D - iso file) >> Editor wherein the 2D is associated with the 3D in Windchill, so, whenever the 3D changes, IsoDraw prompts when you open the 2D, then you can decide to use the latest 3D.

Hope this sheds some light...

Hi Rebecca,

Conceptually I think you are correct. Creo (3D model) -> IsoDraw CADProcess (imports as 2D illustration) -> Arbortext (creates PDF). IsoDraw CADProcess allows an "update and import" of a 3D model to refresh a 2D illustration. However that should still be run by a human as there may be import errors depending on the complexity of updates to the 3D model.

For print fidelity I would recommend printing your IsoDraw files to EPS if possible. CGM or SVG may have issues being rendered in print, and TIFF is not a vector format so not well suited to high res printing. Also note that since one of the Arbortext 6.0 releases, Arbortext now contains an embedded version of IsoView so you could also choose to use that component to render IsoDraw illustrations directly to page.

From a workflow perspective you should use something like Windchill to house and manage all the files and their versions.

Hope that helps.

-Gareth

So, it looks like i will be needing IsoDraw????

If I don't have that program, is there a way around only using Creo Illustrate?

We are using Windchill to manage all our files.

Creo Illustrate should work just fine. Make sure to export your 3D illustration from Creo Illustrate in a format supported by Arbortext or the embedded IsoView of Arbortext (CGM, WebCGM, PVZ, EPS, etc.).

I am not seeing the option to save as an .EPS from Creo Illustrate? Am I missing something?

I don't have Creo Illustrate installed here so can't check. EPS is usually something you print to (instead of Export or Save As).

I see. I generally work with adobe software, it allows you to export to an .eps file.

Hi, we have Creo Illustrate here and I had one of our Illustrators check and it does not look like EPS is a supported output. Then again it is an Adobe format so Adobe Illustrator supports it. We primarily concentrate on CGM as well as the normal TIF, etc. formats supported in Arbortext.

We stroe grpahics and text documents/modules in Windchill/ACM.

Top Tags