cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Has anyone had any luck customizing the Print Preview window?

mramshaw
1-Newbie

Has anyone had any luck customizing the Print Preview window?

The Arbortext help says it can be done using commands like magbase 1000 in Arbortext's pubview.cf file or by making a docname.vcf in the doctypes directory of the document you want to customize the window for. I have tried everything I can think of (editing the local Arbortext pubview.cf, editing the PE Server's pubview.cf, making the docname.vcf files everywhere I can think of, all to no avail. Has anyone ever done this and had it work or should I contact PTC support? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

11 REPLIES 11

According to my Arbortext 6.0 Help, magbase 1000 is the default, so that particular value won't do anything. It also says that in order to make your pubview.cf file accessible, you should put it in your Arbortext-path/custom/pubview directory. Or you can set another directory as your custom directory by setting the APTCUSTOM environment variable and place your pubview.cf file in a sub-directory named "pubview" in the custom directory, or you can set an APTVIEWCF environment variable and place your custom pubview.cf file there.
Other than that, I don't know much else to help you.

There may also be an issue with the rendering engine you're using. If you use FOSI, it will use one previewer (the one affected by magbase, IIRC). But if you use the APP engine, I think it uses a different previewer, which wouldn't be affected by those settings.

--Clay

Mike,

I have had some luck, but the customization is pretty limited and the one I
really wanted was a bug that wouldn't work. I have not verified if PTC has
fixed it.

I have been able to set continuous page scrolling, but unable to set the
default percent for the viewer. Ed is right about the pubview.cf file as the
point to edit. This is an Epic system file so make a copy before you make
changes.

Lynn

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have tried everything you all have said here and still have not been able to change the default percent for the viewer from 120% when the print preview window first appears, my users really want it to be 100. From what Lynn says, I guess it's not going to work so I will file a support ticket.

That is the bug and apparently it is still not fixed.

Lynn

Some years back I tried to change Magnify and Shrink percentages from 20 to 10, but it didn't work. Did that work for you?

Thanks!
Suzanne Napoleon
www.FOSIexpert.com
"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

I tried changing the magstep as well as the magbase and nothing changed at all. I opened a support ticket on this and will update this thread to share the solution if a solution is found.

As I recall, there is already a ticket open on this. Has been for a couple
of years. L

Lynn

You are right Lynn, I just heard back from PTC support and they say this issue has been around a while but it has been resolved in the 6.0 M040 release. As we are still running 5.4 here, I cannot confirm this.

I am running 6.0 M070 and it is fixed there. I set "magbase" to '1200' and
did a print preview. It opened at 120%.

Lynn

Thanks for the info, Lynn. I guess I'll get to see it next summer when we upgrade to 6.0. PTC confirmed that they have sunsetted 5.4 so there are no more fixes coming for it.

Top Tags