cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How do I create a procedure in Arbortext?

jka
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

How do I create a procedure in Arbortext?

I need to create a procedure in Arbortext but I don't know where to start. I'm starting from scratch with a blank template and would like to know what (DITA) tags I should use.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:jka)

Starting from scratch from a blank template would not be recommended as you lose the benefits of structured authoring, and it will have style sheet implications for processing/publishing as well.

Recommend that you use the Template for the DITA Document Type that you are creating.  These should be available when you create a New Document in Arbortext Editor.  Note the options for Template and Sample.

ArbortextNewDocument.jpg

If you don't see this or similar, your Arbortext Editor implementation may not have been done correctly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kpritchard
4-Participant

Starting from scratch from a blank template would not be recommended as you lose the benefits of structured authoring, and it will have style sheet implications for processing/publishing as well.

Recommend that you use the Template for the DITA Document Type that you are creating.  These should be available when you create a New Document in Arbortext Editor.  Note the options for Template and Sample.

ArbortextNewDocument.jpg

If you don't see this or similar, your Arbortext Editor implementation may not have been done correctly.

jka
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:kpritchard)

Many thanks for your help.

So, when I go to create a new document, I will see the list on the left and the DITA technical content menu will offer a Dita Task option.

Do you have a screenshot of the template/tags that this generates?

kpritchard
4-Participant

no screenshot... If you want an example of Tags and their usage suggest creating a Sample.  For full detail suggest referring to the OASIS specification which outlines the applicable schema (what Tags can be used where) for each DITA Type.  The Template will enforce the schema through the dtd behind the scenes.

It sounds like you could benefit from some mentoring.  Suggest getting in touch with Liz Fraley‌ at Single-Sourcing Solutions who provide support services not only in use of Arbortext Editor but in authoring techniques/philosophy in moving from "Book-Brain" to DITA.

TimPhelps
7-Bedrock

Add on to Keir's comment:

You may also open a template or sample document provided with the Arbortext Editor install in Arbortext Editor, and then use Tools > Document Type Viewer to browse through the tags and their structures. In this browser, use the F8 key to expand or collapse and selected tag.

TimPhelps
7-Bedrock

Did you get the information that you needed? If so, indicate the correct answer or add to the thread with the solution that you found.

This will help the community. We will know the resolution to the issue.

Top Tags