cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to change the default setting for the <table> element?

lxie1
1-Newbie

How to change the default setting for the <table> element?

Dear all,

I met a problem, when I creat a <table> element, the cell margin is 5pt, and the line thickness is 1pt, like the folloing:

12-16+table.jpg

The problem is how to change the default setting for the <table> element? Where the primary setting? Can I define it in the stylesheet?

Using APP Source? or add new table element? or...? How?

Also for other default table attribute, such as the row-height, the column-width...

I was troubled by this problem for a long time, but still no clue. Your assistance will be highly appreciated in this regard.

Thanking you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:lxie1)

Here's how to find Tag Templates:

Tools (MENU) -> Tag Templates

First, create a table that does what you want -- set the colspec attributes, set the borders and shading, do everything in the markup in the document to get the table looking the way you want it.

Then in the Tag Templates window, create a new one from the model table you just set up.

Read the help topics on 'tag templates' for better instructions.

Or do it by way of the stylesheet:

Look for the rules that match the table elements in your DTD (e.g., 'entry'...)

And set the properties on those rules.

Third option: Send your question to PTC Support. They will help you.

Fourth option(s):

1. Check YouTube. I don't remember if we posted a video on table formatting or not, but someone may have.

2. Vote for a session on Arbortext TC Dojo focused on tables. If the session gets enough votes, we'll do one.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TimPhelps
7-Bedrock

Have you reviewed the Arbortext Editor's Help Center topic "Tables overview"? (Help > Help Center)

Have you viewed tables as table markup? (View > Tables > Table Markup)

The column width is defined by the colwidth attribute in the colspec element.

Also see Arbortext Editor's Help Center topic "APTTBLCELLMARGT — Specifying the default top margin for table cells" and "Related Links" on that page

hi Tim,

Thank you very much.

I know the column width is defined by the colwidth attribute in the colspec element.

But I want to set the colwidth in the style, or by some other method.

I saw this disscuss "http://communities.ptc.com/message/203812#203812"

Maybe this is the same as my problem...Maybe Gareth's reply is I need, insert something in the publishing pipeline which "normalises" table markup before it is published? But I do not know how to start

I will do further study and research for your answer and these. But now we are a bit busy these time...

Thanks again.

rdiaz
5-Regular Member

Hi Lorin,

Any luck following Gareth's ideas in that other thread?

lxie1
1-Newbie
(To:rdiaz)

Sorry, I did not have experience for these, so I do not know where to start

lfraley
6-Contributor

Here's how to find Tag Templates:

Tools (MENU) -> Tag Templates

First, create a table that does what you want -- set the colspec attributes, set the borders and shading, do everything in the markup in the document to get the table looking the way you want it.

Then in the Tag Templates window, create a new one from the model table you just set up.

Read the help topics on 'tag templates' for better instructions.

Or do it by way of the stylesheet:

Look for the rules that match the table elements in your DTD (e.g., 'entry'...)

And set the properties on those rules.

Third option: Send your question to PTC Support. They will help you.

Fourth option(s):

1. Check YouTube. I don't remember if we posted a video on table formatting or not, but someone may have.

2. Vote for a session on Arbortext TC Dojo focused on tables. If the session gets enough votes, we'll do one.

lxie1
1-Newbie
(To:lfraley)

Hi Liz, thank you for your detailed reply.

Yes, we using Tag Templates to achieve it.

We will try other methods you said, thanks again!

Various ACL settings and environment variables control table defaults. For example: set tabledefaultrulethickness and apttblcellmargb. They are documented in the Arbortext Command Language Reference manual.

Top Tags