cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Opening network files

LynnHales
1-Newbie

Opening network files

Greetings folks,

I am suddenly getting a rather 'weird' occurrence when trying to open files from an NAS (Network Access Server). I have the drive mapped to a specific drive letter and I can see the drive and file contents with the 'file open' dialog.

Now here is where the problem arises. For some reason or another, When I click to open a file (any file) I get an error saying it cannot find the file. The path shown is the network path, not the mapped drive letter path (e.g., \\server-name\volume-on-NAS\folder-name\file.xml versus f:\folder-name\file.xml).

I have tried entering the path using the drive letter and folder (e.g., f:\folder-name\file.xml). To no avail (okay, fifth time is a charm, it finally opened). This is occurring on the two computers that I have Epic installed on (laptop with Windoze 7 Home Premium and desktop with Vista 64 Ultimate).

With the Vista machine I thought (explaining this in a bit) that typing the drive and path was the answer and once there, it started working for any and all files. I do not think that was the resolution though. First, it didn't work on the Win 7 machine and secondly, the Win 7 machine just started working.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the answer? Brandon and Liz, this is the same problem I had that day of the webcast.

Thanks

Lynn;

1 REPLY 1

Well, I think I may have figured out what the problem is. It isn't anything to do with Epic or really even the NAS. It seems to be a Windoze network issue.

I can access the NAS as a mapped drive, however when I go to 'network places' (or what ever it is called in Win 7), and click on the folder under the NAS, it says the drive is not available.

Now I am not sure why I can see the drive when mapped, but not through its network path I do not know. Frustrating that is for sure, but I'll figure it out eventually. However if anyone has any words of wisdom, I'm open. Smiley Very Happy

Lynn

---- Lynn Hales <-> wrote:
> Greetings folks,
>
> I am suddenly getting a rather 'weird' occurrence when trying to open files from an NAS (Network Access Server). I have the drive mapped to a specific drive letter and I can see the drive and file contents with the 'file open' dialog.
>
> Now here is where the problem arises. For some reason or another, When I click to open a file (any file) I get an error saying it cannot find the file. The path shown is the network path, not the mapped drive letter path (e.g., \server-name\volume-on-NAS\folder-name\file.xml versus f:\folder-name\file.xml).
>
> I have tried entering the path using the drive letter and folder (e.g., f:\folder-name\file.xml). To no avail (okay, fifth time is a charm, it finally opened). This is occurring on the two computers that I have Epic installed on (laptop with Windoze 7 Home Premium and desktop with Vista 64 Ultimate).
>
> With the Vista machine I thought (explaining this in a bit) that typing the drive and path was the answer and once there, it started working for any and all files. I do not think that was the resolution though. First, it didn't work on the Win 7 machine and secondly, the Win 7 machine just started working.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the answer? Brandon and Liz, this is the same problem I had that day of the webcast.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lynn;
>
>
>
>
Top Tags