cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

SGML Editor problem inserting elements

AndyEsslinger
1-Newbie

SGML Editor problem inserting elements

Greetings adepters,

64-bit Windows 7, 8 GIG RAM, 3.3 gig CPU, AE 5.3m040, 167 free on HD.

I have a strange intermittent problem. One of my users is working on a change to a document. He wants to insert a STEP1 element between two other STEP1 elements, but the element is not available for insertion (as shown in the screen shot). If I edit selection as SGML source and manually type in the <step1><para></para></step1> it works and doesn't create a context error.
Sometimes the quick-tags menu or the insert Markup works for inserting one STEP1 element and then the STEP1 element is no longer available for insertion of a second STEP1 element. This behavior has been intermittently duplicated on several different PCs. I have tried restarting AE and rebooting the PC but that did not solve the problem. STEP1 elements are not the only elements where this happens. It sometimes affects PARA0 or SUBPARA1 or ITEM elements also. Does anyone have any idea about what causes this and how to fix it?

This is a screen shot showing both the quick-tag insertion and the Insert-->Markup dialog. STEP1 is not present on either but you can see that it is present in the document already. I inserted the first STEP1 element from the quick-tags menu.

The DTD is a MIL-STD-38784 from the US Air Force TMSS (Tech Manuals Specifications and Standards) web site.

Thanks,
-Andy
Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
(817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
(817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916
4 REPLIES 4

We had difficulty even installing AE 5.3 m110 on Windows 7. Surprised you
have gotten as far as you have. Is XP Mode available? You might try running
in that environment on your Win7 installs.

We found a problem using AE 6.0 m010 64bit due to our enterprise image's
Java being 32bit. We had success only when we used 32 bit AE 6.0 m010. That
might be something to look at.

Hi Andy,

This sounds like SPR 1491105 which "Addressed an issue where Arbortext Editor would not allow a legal element to be inserted in a document between many repeating sibling elements of the type."

Release Notes say this was fixed in 5.3 M090.

David

David S. Taylor

Project Manager, Structured Information
Production and Marketing | Building Regulations | NRC Construction
Building M-23A, Room 114 | 1200 Montreal Road | Ottawa, ON | K1A 0R6
Telephone: 613-990-2731 | Fax: 613-952-4040
David.S.Taylor@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca<">mailto:David.S.Taylor@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>

XP Mode is not available. One of the machines where this was duplicated was running 32-bit Windows XP SP3 with 3 gig RAM installed, 2.6 gig CPU. This PC is supposed to be upgraded by the end of the month. I have a VMware XP setup I will use for troubleshooting after that happens.

Upgrading to newer versions of AE is not practical. There is no budget to completely rewrite all of our style sheets.

-Andy

Thanks,

That sounds like something usable, except that we tried upgrading to 5.3.m090 for another reason. Versions m080 and m090 would intermittently cause data loss - the kind that can only be restored from tape backup.

I notice that there are newer versions so I will try a higher one and see what happens.

Thanks,
-Andy

Top Tags