cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Schema/DTD Not Found Error Upon EVERY Launch?

mpezzula
1-Newbie

Schema/DTD Not Found Error Upon EVERY Launch?

I just installed Arbortext Editor 6.1 on a new Windows 7 machine. When I open my XML document, I get the Schema/DTD not found error [A15015]. I browse for the DTD file and associate it with my XML document. When I close the XML file, Arbortext does not remember the association, and I have to again browse for the DTD and associate it each time I open the document.

This happens whenever I close and reopen the XML document. How can I change my Editor 6.1 settings so that my XML documents will remember the association? It is currently looking for the DTD in the same root directory in which the XML document is housed, however I keep my DTD in the custom/doctypes folder in the PTC directory in Program Files.

I have checked my file location preferences and the correct file path to the DTD is listed there.

In a desperate attempt, I opened my XML document in notepad and manually entered the file path for the DTD, but I do not want to have to do this for ~2000 files. Any ideas how to make the DTD file association permanent?

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Melanie,

Have you mapped your APTCUSTOM environment variable to point to your custom folder location?

APTCUSTOM is a windows environment variable that Arbortext looks for upon launch to configure any custom folders and set locations for DTDs/Schemas/scripts/etc.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff--

Yes, I have mapped APTCUSTOM to my custom folder, and am still experiencing the issue. In the [A15015] error window, the file path that displays is always the folder in which the file I am opening resides.

I have also removed all catalog file paths and re-established them to my custom folder, and have not been able to resolve this issue.

Any other suggestions?

If you want XML documents to be associated with a DTD or Schema then you have to use the mechanisms provided. Best practice is as follows.

1. All documents must be marked with a <!DOCTYPE> associated, preferably to a PUBLIC ID
  2. Catalog files in APTCUSTOM folders then map the PUBLIC ID to an actual DTD or Schema file

If you are getting missing DTD/Schema errors then one of those two items is setup wrong. First check that the catalog files are correct, and PUBLIC IDs are correct, next check that your XML files have the correct <!DOCTYPE> association.

Example catalog entry: PUBLIC "-//ORG//DTD_FILE Ver. 1.0//EN" "myfile.dtd"

Example DOCTYPE entry: <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//ORG//DTD_FILE Ver. 1.0//EN" "myfile.dtd">

The idea being that the catalog maps PUBLIC IDs to an actual file on your computer.

Top Tags