cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

SharePoint Checkout

ptc-3063012
1-Newbie

SharePoint Checkout

Hello all,

We have a testingmemberswho uses SharePoint to store some test XML files. Our default XML editor is ArborText and it is configured to open any XML file (default application). However when I checkout a file from SharePoint it does not open the XML file for editing. Also when ArborText is closed and if I checkout the file, then ArborText application is opened but it does not open the file. I am getting a message that the file does not exist.

Is there a way to make ArborText to edit files from SharePoint? If not then I might have to move XML files to a directory of some network location.

Karthik

4 REPLIES 4

I am not a SharePoint administrator, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems like you ought to be able to add "Edit in Arbortext Editor" to the pull-down menu of a link to an XML document. Using this menu selection should check out and open the file in Arbortext Editor, the same way that SharePoint checks out and opens a Word .doc file when you use the "Edit in Microsoft Office Word" pull down menu selection.
If this is already what you have done to get the behavior you currently have, then...never mind.

For us using 5.4 M040, if you double-click an XML file on a mapped network drive without Arbortext already open, it opens Arbortext, complains it can't open the file, then opens the file in Notepad. Once Arbortext is open, no issues. Very odd.

John T. Jarrett CDT
Senior Tech Writer, Integrated Logistics Support, Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

T 832.673.2147 | M 832.363.7234 | F 832.673.2376 | x1147 | -<">mailto:->
BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
www.baesystems.com

Thanks for the response.

Ed: In the SharePoint, I currently get "Edit Document" and I have changed my system preferences to open ArborText for any XML file. So it indeed opens up the ArborText but it does not open the file.

Jarrett: I had experienced the same issue. Try changing your file type under control panel>Folder Option>File Types. Navigate to XML and click "Change". Select ArborText. This should help.

Karthik

I'm not sure if you're looking for alternatives, but have you tried
opening up your SharePoint files using WebDAV? Arbortext can browse
and open from WebDAV folders pretty easily, and that might also save
you a step in your workflow.

keith

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Karthik Kumar
<karthik.kumar@merrillcorp.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We have a testingmemberswho uses SharePoint to store some test XML files.
> Our default XML editor is ArborText and it is configured to open any XML
> file (default application). However when I checkout a file from SharePoint
> it does not open the XML file for editing. Also when ArborText is closed and
> if I checkout the file, then ArborText application is opened but it does not
> open the file. I am getting a message that the file does not exist.
>
> Is there a way to make ArborText to edit files from SharePoint? If not then
> I might have to move XML files to a directory of some network location.
>
> Karthik
>
> -----End Original Message-----
Top Tags