cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Start using APP

hibrahim
1-Newbie

Start using APP

Greetings;

This is my first time here in the community, we working in academic publishing,

I just want to know who could help us to decide if APP will help in the current workflow of our company or not ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are 2 products here that we could be discussing.

I am not sure which you are speaking about.

Are you speaking about using Arbortext Editor, Arbortext Styler and the Arbortext Publishing Engine,

or are you speaking about Arbortext Advanced Print Publisher?

Both systems handle graphics, tables, large indexes, landscape and portrait pages and large 1000+ page documents well.

Your best bet would be to speak with a PTC sales representative, so that you can define your current applications, flow process and desired goals.

Tim

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Are you working with Arbortext Products, Arbortext Editor, Arbortext Publishing Engine?

Are you using either of the other composition forms, FOSI, XSL-FO?

Are you using Arbortext Styler?

Are you think of using the Arbortext Advanced Publishing Enterprise product?

‌From what i understod (after watching your videos) that APP could have start point of an XML file of the article (correct me if it's wrong), we currently use MS word to mark up the document, and then transform it to archival XML file, the real problem we currently face is the manual layout changes (columns balancing, floats placing etc.) in the PDF.

Regarding your main question, we don't use any of Arbortext products.

Arbortext Editor works with XML documents.

It uses document type files, .dtd, or schema files, .xsd, to define the structure of the XML documents.

Authors create or edit XML documents using Arbortext Editor.

The stylesheets are used for defining the look of the document in PDF, HTML or other output forms.

The styling can be done for an APP compostion engine, a FOSI composition engine or an XSL-FO composition engine.

The default composition engine is the APP composition engine.

The publishing is done with either Arbortext Publishing Engine, Arbortext Styler or a print compose license.

Arbortext Editor, Arbortext Publishing Engine and Arbortext Styler are licensed products.

To compose an XML document one needs to have

1) a dtd or schema that defines its structure

2) a .dcf file to define certain element functionality. Which elements are considered graphics, which are defining bold, italic, etc., which are paragraphs, etc.

3) a stylesheet that defines the page layout, the headers and footer layout and content, element styling, vertical space between elements and its flexibility, etc.

4) Arbortext Publishing Engine, Styler or print composer license to perform the composition

This is a small description of just the output process.

There is much more available for larger solutions, like content managment systems, translation, graphic creation, service information managment, and more.

Hello Tim,

We already do most of what you stated above (composing XML document) but we use TeX as a typesetting engine to produce PDF files,

The problem with TeX is the time waste in manual layout,we want to exchange TeX with APP since APP provide friendly UI, and more automation than TeX,

We tried other typesetting engines, but most of them fail due the heavy tables (table groups,long tables and landscape),figure groups(14 sub figure), Math equations ( 60 displayed equations on Average per article) we deal with in daily biases, how does APP handle this staff ?

Hello Tim,

I still waiting your answer.

Thanks

There are 2 products here that we could be discussing.

I am not sure which you are speaking about.

Are you speaking about using Arbortext Editor, Arbortext Styler and the Arbortext Publishing Engine,

or are you speaking about Arbortext Advanced Print Publisher?

Both systems handle graphics, tables, large indexes, landscape and portrait pages and large 1000+ page documents well.

Your best bet would be to speak with a PTC sales representative, so that you can define your current applications, flow process and desired goals.

Tim

Hello Tim,

I am really confused about who should I contact ?, single-sourcing provide an email address(sales@single-sourcing.com) in the APP pages for software pricing, and PTC asked for another information to contact their sales representative, so please provide me the correct method to contact whoever could help me.

Thanks.

Suggested contacting a PTC partner, GPSL Solutions, who had an office in the region.

Hello Hesham,

APP has been widely used in the BPO and offshore typesetting business, particularly for journals and books. Partial or full automation is possible, with no loss of quality. If you would like further information, contact us here at GPSL www.gpsl.co or info@gpsl.co. We are the global APP (3B2) experts.

Regards,

Gareth Oakes

Chief Architect, GPSL

lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:hibrahim)

Hi Hesham,

We, at Single-Sourcing Solutions, are also qualified to help you with your Arbortext needs and conundrum. I'm so glad our pages were helpful to you. We are a PTC partner with long experience in the Arbortext and happy to help should you need it.

Best,

Liz

Hesham,

Did you get the assistance that you needed?

Tim

Top Tags