cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Tag templates

pzorrilla
1-Newbie

Tag templates

Hello everybody!!

Ok, so I've been working with some stuff related with tags and wrapping but I'm in a biiig trouble! When I try to create a new tag, Arbortext tells me that is out of context, I understand this is because this new tag is not in my DTD, is that correct? However, I would like to know if there's an option to create or modify my configuration in order to declare my new tag. Please, i f anybody have more information about this topic, I would really really appreciate your help. I'm sad because I haven't found any detailed information.

I really appreciate your time and support.

Regards,

Paulette Zorrilla

4 REPLIES 4

Paulette,

The only way to have a new tag recognized and valid is to declare it in the DTD that you are using for authoring.

I assume your content must pass some sort of validation check. Some people turn off context rules so that they can create content that is not regulated by the DTD. But this usually causes issues in downstream processes that use the content and a lot of companies want to avoid that.

~ Pushpinder

Paulette I think you need to take some XML training in order to fully get your arms around this. For XML applications a DTD or Schema is used to define the allowed XML vocabulary. This includes things like the tag and attributes names and their possible values.

If you are using XML you should always be thinking bigger than just Arbortext. Even if you *can* make something work in Arbortext, doesn't mean you *should*. You may be setting yourself up for bigger problems down the track if the XML documents you are making are not well-formed and valid.

Gareth, thank you so much for your response, I understand your point of view, in fact some days ago I found the option to uncheck the context rules using Arbortext and making the corresponding changes "breacking the rules". However this stuff related with the control of DTD or schemas over XML documents don't allow me to present this choice as the best alternative to solve my problem. I will try to explain you my main goal and maybe you could give some advise in order to solve it, I don't know, maybe another option

What I'm trying to do, is to extract some content from my XML document, which later would be converted in a new XML-Type document. Let's say that I'm trying to modify my document ir order to transform it in another, but maybe a better option would be to add some flags. Do you know if there's another option in order to identify certain parts in a Document using Arbortext? I hope this wouldn't be confusing. And I really appreciate your time and warning.

Best Regards.

Paulette Zorrilla

I'm not 100% certain what you're after but have you seen the Arbortext Profiling feature? That lets you flag your content pieces in different ways (eg. teacher vs student, expert vs novice). You can then apply profiles during publishing to customise the content according to the specific output type (eg. a novice student handbook vs teacher's guide).

Top Tags