cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

viewing final index markup

kmccain
3-Visitor

viewing final index markup

Hi,

I'm trying to troubleshoot some index issues and would like to be able to view the final index markup in the edit window.

I followed the instructions in the Help file for this and I can see the preliminary index markup, but the _final pseudo tags contain no content. Do I need to code something extra special in my fosi in order to see the final index generated text?

Thanks,

KM

16 REPLIES 16

Hi Kim,
Does the final index appear in Preview?
Suzanne
kmccain
3-Visitor
(To:kmccain)

Suzanne,

If you mean when doing a Print Preview with composer, yes, the index does appear in its final sorted version. Unfortunately, it still isn't sorted correctly, and there are some odd extra spaces, which is one reason I wanted to try looking at the final markup to see if I could figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

Kim

Re: "but the _final pseudo tags contain no content" in your earlier emial, does this mean you see just <_final> in the Edit window, or do you see other pseudo tags as well?

To: -
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2015 4:16 PM
Subject: [adepters] - viewing final index markup

Hi,I'm trying to troubleshoot some index issues and would like to be able to view the final index markup in the edit window.I followed the instructions in the Help file for this and I can see the preliminary index markup, but the _final pseudo tags contain no content. Do I need to code something extra special in my fosi in order to see the final index generated text?Thanks,KM
Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
kmccain
3-Visitor

I see a lot of tags:

<num-index.psu*><usetext userule="2" id="0" fid="65535"><_final><_prelim></tiv>
<ixpt*>...</ixpt*><ixsub1*>..</ixsub1><ixpgstr*>...</ixpgstr*>
----many of these until the end----
</num-index.psu*>

All the preliminary index markup seems to be there in its unsorted order. I can't see the final index until I do a Preview or Compose it.

Maybe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong in the FOSI while producing the index. I inherited the FOSI and I'm trying to add functionality that was missing, but most of the index stuff was already there, just not picking up all the part nos. and in the wrong sort order so I'm trying to fix those things.

Kim,

Have you tried exporting the markup to a file via the setting userule="1"?

That's a technique used when debugging indexes to look at index markup.

You can do this by changing a line in your FOSI like (YMMV)

<usetext source="index.app" userule="2">

to

<usetext source="index.app" userule="1">

The output will then go a file <eic-name>.exp

--Jack
LSI, Inc
Jacksonville, FL

If you are seeing gentext tags and the preliminary index, you should be seeing the final index. Are you getting any error messages? Be sure Preferences are set to display all warnings, messages, and errors. An index-related message often includes a link to the document.
Note that index sorting is alphabetical not numerical. The <ixkey> preliminary index pseudo-element is needed for correct numerical sorting. This is discussed in Chapter 5 of my book at

For the record, the .exp file shows preliminary index markup with final page numbers.

kmccain
3-Visitor

OK. I am seeing the following errors:

[A12550] ERROR (indexing): Can't use page string for page key; may need explicit key.
[A12550] ERROR (indexing): Can't use page string for page key; may need explicit key.
[A12534] ERROR: (indexing) No index records found in preliminary index.

But I am seeing the preliminary index markup in the document - like this:

<ixpt>9740-0183</ixpt><ixsub1>1-</ixsub1><ixpgstr>1-00</ixpgstr>
<ixpt>9740001-E20</ixpt><ixsub1>1-1</ixsub1><ixpgstr>1-00</ixpgstr>
<ixpt>9740001-E301</ixpt><ixsub1>1-2</ixsub1><ixpgstr>1-00</ixpgstr>

I did try changing userule to 1 and exporting it to an external file. I get the preliminary index markup there as well. But when I compose it, I do get the sorted index and the page strings are there ..so it's doing something, somewhere, with the preliminary markup...

The Help info and my book contain a list of index-related error messages, including these, and what to do about them. I suggest focusing first on the error message about needing an explicit key.
kmccain
3-Visitor

Suzanne,

Thanks. I fixed the page string error and can now see the final index markup in the Edit window. I've figured out why I'm getting some extra spacing in the output, too. But I still haven't gotten the sort problem figured out.

I need all the alpha groups before the numerical groups in this index, but if I use a custom collation file it will change the sort order for all indexes, won't it? while I just want to change the part number index, but still be able to have a normal alphabetic glossary if I need it. or am I mistaken?

Kim

You can use two appended strings for the numerical index. One is for numerical entries, the other for alphabetical entries.
Part numbers for the numerical string must have a "sortas" attribute for correct numerical sorting(as described in my book and in AE Help). So if an element has a value for the "sortas" attribute, save to the numerical string; otherwise save to the alphabetical string.

kmccain
3-Visitor

Suzanne,

I did read about the sortas attribute, but my partno elements do not have an attribute for that and I can't alter the DTD to add one. Can I create a pseudo attribute for this?

By the way, is your book now published? is it available?

Thanks,

Kim

You will need to add a pseudo-attribute for correct numerical sorting. The section on pseudo-attributes from my not-yet-published book is attached. Actually, most of the content of the book is available in PDF files at
kmccain
3-Visitor

I am back again with one more question. I have my final index markup sorting the way I want it, but now I need to be able to insert a text break or blank line after every ten items listed as per military spec. Is there any way to do that with just FOSI, or FOSI and an ACL script, or do I need to export the index to accomplish this?

Thanks, KM

Hi Kim,
You can use #FOSI to do the counting. This is covered in Chapter 4 at
kmccain
3-Visitor

Suzanne,

Thanks for this! After a liddle fiddling, it works like a charm.

KM

Top Tags