cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Import multi-body parasolid as assembly?

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member

Import multi-body parasolid as assembly?

Hi all,

Is there any way to import a multi-body parasolid as an assembly? I can import it as a single part but I would like to manipulate the bodies as assembly instances.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You might need to do this manually.

I have an X_T file (attached) that was exported from Creo 2.0 part file and when I imported it, it asked if I wanted it to be an assembly or a part. It came in fine as an assembly. This may not be the case with all exports by other platforms, or if the schema has some built in restrictions. I am using the default parasolid options.

Otherwise -

Can you delete the various bodies in the part and save them as unique parts with single bodies? Then you can re-assemble them using a common origin.

As a side note, I use to manipulate VRML files for minimal file size and remove any overlapping "surfaces". It was a lot of work, but the results were fantastic. If you learned how to manipulate the Parasolid files, maybe you could force an assembly before importing. X_T files are reasonably well formatted ASCII files.

Does anyone know what the various values of INTF3D_PARASOLID_EXPORT_SCHEMA actually mean?

edit: attached original PRT file

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You might need to do this manually.

I have an X_T file (attached) that was exported from Creo 2.0 part file and when I imported it, it asked if I wanted it to be an assembly or a part. It came in fine as an assembly. This may not be the case with all exports by other platforms, or if the schema has some built in restrictions. I am using the default parasolid options.

Otherwise -

Can you delete the various bodies in the part and save them as unique parts with single bodies? Then you can re-assemble them using a common origin.

As a side note, I use to manipulate VRML files for minimal file size and remove any overlapping "surfaces". It was a lot of work, but the results were fantastic. If you learned how to manipulate the Parasolid files, maybe you could force an assembly before importing. X_T files are reasonably well formatted ASCII files.

Does anyone know what the various values of INTF3D_PARASOLID_EXPORT_SCHEMA actually mean?

edit: attached original PRT file

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks for the test file. My problem was that i was creating a part first then trying to import the the parasolid file into it. The correct way is to simply open the parasolid file (file - open), and it will open correctly.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags