cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Summary: Prototype parts "how do you handle this"

ptc-46674
1-Newbie

Summary: Prototype parts "how do you handle this"

Thanks for all of the replies; I want to expand on this question just a bit with a more detailed example to make sure everyone who replied understood the context of my original question.

The responses were pretty much split down the middle.

Original Question
I'm being asked to define a standard practice to use when getting prototype parts made.

Currently we have no standard solution for “informally” prototyping a new revision of a part that can be evaluated prior to releasing it as part of an existing production assembly. Some engineers add a suffix –OLD or –PROTOTYPE to the existing part number Some just change the release level of the part & drawing in Intralink. Others create a new part number for the prototype part and then go back to the old part number if the evaluation is successful. We need to identify a standard procedure to accomplish this that ensures the prototype part does not inadvertently get mixed up with production inventory or fabricators production records.

Solution #1
Many of the responses stated they would duplicate the part and add a suffix to the end of the P/N. This will guarantee the parts don’t get mixed in with production parts. True but “This seems like Twice the amount of work for the engineering department and is open to mistakes in the changes not being exactly the same”

Example Situation
Let’s say that I have several assemblies released & in Production. One of the parts which is used in all of these assemblies let’s call it “456789 and it is at rev C” is being revised for a cost reduction or something like that.
So these folks are saying that they would “duplicate / save as” this part & drawing to a new # 456789X1 Rev D. Send the part to purchasing department with some clear instructions like “order me 5 prototype rev D parts” when it comes in they would assembly it in to an assembly do their testing, validate the design, lifecycle testing etc… Then after that assuming it is fine they would then haft to go back to the original file 456789 Rev C bump the revision to rev D redo all the changes that were made to 456789X1 rev D. set the release level of 456789 rev D part/drawing to Released, Send the part to purchasing department and tell them this is the same as 456789X1 rev D, and Update the BOM’s in the ERP system for the assemblies that use this part.

Solution #2
Others replied in agreement with my proposed method.

Same example situation: see above

Just bump the revision of 456789 from rev C to rev D make the modifications. Set the release level of the part/drawing to “Prototype” send the file to the purchasing department with some clear instructions like “order me 5 prototype rev D parts” “!!!! These are Prototype parts !!!!” when it comes back assemble it in to an assembly do the testing, validate the design, lifecycle testing etc… Then after that assuming it is fine change the release level of 456789 rev D part/drawing to Released, Update the BOM’s in the ERP system for the assemblies that use this part. Send some email to purchasing "hey this part is great were going to put it into Production"

For the folks who replied to my original question agreeing with solution #1
could you please reply again? A simple YES that is how we do it, or NO & a short description of where I am misunderstanding the amount of work this puts on the engineering department, would be great.

Thanks in advance
Dave McClinton
Mechanical Designer / System Administrator
McKesson Automation
51 Pennwood Place, Suite 400
Warrendale, PA 15086
724-741-7760 Phone

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Well the replies to this question were pretty much split. I would say that as long as the users do things in a consistent manner and follow the procedure at your company there should not be much of an issue.

below is an excerpt from the Procedure I wrote for Mckesson

1. Add the upper level assembly and drawings of all the parts that are being revised to a workspace.

2. Bump the revision letter of the parts & drawings that are being revised to the next revision letter. “This will change the release state of these files to In Work”

3. Checkout the parts and drawings being modified to the workspace.

4. Make the desired changes to the parts & or assemblies.

5. Update the drawings accordingly.

6. Print out the drawings.

7. Do a complete & thorough review of the drawings.

8. Check in the drawings to common space

10. Set the release level of the files to Prototype

11. Do not make any changes in Symix to the revision letter of these parts until after the prototype files have been approved to be released to Production.

12. After the files have been approved change the release level of the parts and drawings in Intralink to “Released”

13. Update the revision letter of the parts in Symix.
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags