cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Trouble Converting .prt to .stl

eschlute
1-Newbie

Trouble Converting .prt to .stl

Hello,

I am doing research this summer on breast cancer detection systems. Therefore, I created a model of a breast in creo 1.0 parametrics as a part (prt.) and would now like to 3D print my model. The 3D printer I am using is a Makerbot which accepts files only with .stl or .obj extensions. I first tried to 'save as' my breast model (.prt) file as a .stl file but that extension was not a option in the drop down menu so I selected the .obj extension. But when I tried to go look for this 'save as' file, I couldn't find it.

I then created an assembly file (.asm) and placed my breast model (.prt) in to it. I again 'save as' my assembly file as both a .stl and .obj file and successfuly found both files. Yet, when I tried to open them in Makerware, the software said it did not support my file. I was wondering if someone could help me out in converting my .prt file to an .stl or .obj file?

Attached is the .asm file I have been trying to convert and both of my unsuccessful file conversions (.stl and .obj). Please take a look and see for yourself what I am talking about.

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

The Creo file is the academic version so I cannot open that. Neither of the export files could not be read either.

Is there a limit of exporting files from the academic version of Creo? PTC is very careful about what you can share from one platform to another. you might PM Tim Brotherhood to see if he can help on this. he would know the limitations.

Is there something that I can change on the Creo file so that you may be able to open it?

Thank you for the reference!

The export files are empty. There is no data there. you can see what is inside them in a text editor

Are you maybe forgetting to select the features to export? Some export options take everything by default, others require selection of features to export.

The fact that you did not get an export prompt for STL means the part is not compatible for export to that format. I believe STL requires a solid body. If the part to be grown is solid, you will get the option to save the PRT file as an STL.

If I were to upload the orginal .prt file, would that help you better understand why my model is not allowing me to export a .stl file?

I cannot read the Academic version of Creo files. I can try to import STEP or IGES files.

I open a new discussion that has the STEP file attached to it. Thank you for your help!

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags