cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

A Basic Question : Why regeneration required in Creo?

SandeepKadam07
12-Amethyst

A Basic Question : Why regeneration required in Creo?

Dear all,

There are lots of CAD softwares in market. As per my knowledge, I couldn't find any such regeneration happening in any other CAD tool.

Please share information regarding regeneration in creo

Regards,

Sandeep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What are these other "CAD tools" of which you speak? Doing a cursory search I find regeneration used in two of the prime competitors to Creo, NX6 and SolidWorks. Perhaps you are comparing a non-feature based modeling program to this one?

Here's an example of a situation where regeneration is welcome: You're working on a horrible model that has upwards of 800 features in it. You want to make some small changes to three or four dimensions, nothing major, just slight adjustments. Presumably, if regeneration didn't exist, your model would have to update automatically each time you made a change to one of the dimensions. So, you'd be forced to sit through a series of lengthy recalculations and updates. And, if you weren't careful in the order of the changes you made, you could also suffer the nightmare of a failure. It's much better to be able to modify all of the dimensions necessary, then just sit through one regeneration. This isn't a hypothetical case, either, I've had run-ins with this type of thing before.

In "olden times", as I recall, the models we created were "dumb" models, in the sense that you had the final geometry, but didn't have all the intermediate stages available to you. If you wanted to "fix" a feature, you couldn't roll back the model and change the operations that created it. You had to patch up your model in some clunky manner and then do some more work to get the correct end result. Good stuff for concocting horror stories, but not for getting things done efficiently.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

What are these other "CAD tools" of which you speak? Doing a cursory search I find regeneration used in two of the prime competitors to Creo, NX6 and SolidWorks. Perhaps you are comparing a non-feature based modeling program to this one?

Here's an example of a situation where regeneration is welcome: You're working on a horrible model that has upwards of 800 features in it. You want to make some small changes to three or four dimensions, nothing major, just slight adjustments. Presumably, if regeneration didn't exist, your model would have to update automatically each time you made a change to one of the dimensions. So, you'd be forced to sit through a series of lengthy recalculations and updates. And, if you weren't careful in the order of the changes you made, you could also suffer the nightmare of a failure. It's much better to be able to modify all of the dimensions necessary, then just sit through one regeneration. This isn't a hypothetical case, either, I've had run-ins with this type of thing before.

In "olden times", as I recall, the models we created were "dumb" models, in the sense that you had the final geometry, but didn't have all the intermediate stages available to you. If you wanted to "fix" a feature, you couldn't roll back the model and change the operations that created it. You had to patch up your model in some clunky manner and then do some more work to get the correct end result. Good stuff for concocting horror stories, but not for getting things done efficiently.

...and also in Autodesk Inventor

....and on the related subject of "Why Is There Air?".......

When you don't want to answer, keep quite. There are many doubts on this community which use to come from new learners. That may be very basic or silly. But yet experts give a related answers. If you want to make jokes on others try it on other social media. If you know everything about creo, give anwers to all query's on this community.

It is also polite to recognize that many experts have already given answers and that you can select "Like" to indicate you appreciate the effort.

(also - doubt = feeling uncertain or disbelief. "Question," as a noun, means to ask for information.

I doubt the sun is orange. The teacher asked a question)

I already searched for previous queries raised on regeneration. That's why I raised this one.

I will definitely write whether my query is doubts and questions from next time

Keep "QuiET". 

Frankly, I found the question absurd, and this topic has been discussed before.  Use the search tool.  In the 30+ years I've been doing CAD work EVERY package requires a regen of some sort.  sometimes Pro/E requires 2, which is annoying.

What I get tired of is people coming here and refusing to put in the effort to learn to solve their own problems and expecting others to answer every modeling problem for them. 

In that case you should check all your relations...and make sure that they are in the correct order 😉

Example A. (Relations in incorrect order. Parameter C is an input parameter)

A = B/2

B = 2*C

Example B (Relations is correct order. Parameter C is an input parameter)

B = 2*C

A = B/2

When changing the value of C...

...example A requires 2 regenerations for all relations to be computed

...example B requires 1 regeneration.

I don't think that was what was being referred to. Your example is an instance of bad programming.

The problem I have seen that requires a second regeneration is in complex models where I'm using evaluated properties of the model, like a surface area, to calculate other values. Often I need to regenerate twice to have the proper values propagated through the model. The first gets the correct area, but the calculation is already done as part of the regeneration process. The second regeneration causes a correct calculation because the relations are now referring to the correct result for the area.

To avoid this problem, one can define relations to be "after regeneration", but that tends to "hide" the relations, if you don't remember that they were defined in the after regeneration "area".

It's just an example why PRO/E or Creo needs to regenerate twice

The same applies when you set a parameter to the mass of a part or assembly. The mass is calculated at the very end of the PRO/PROGRAM, so using the mass in a relation will require two regens.

I also dislike hiding relations somewhere. So we always use the "part level" or "assembly level" to write our relations, never inside a feature.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags