cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

About Pro/web.link

grocha-2
1-Newbie

About Pro/web.link

Hi everybody,

I would like know, how Pro/web.link works.

if possible, someone could show me how increase my engineering tasks.

thanks in advance

Gabriel Rocha

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Gabriel...

I hope someone with specific Web/Link knowledge chimes in. This tool has some cool possibilities but unfortunately the documentation is sketchy.

It's one of those packages that works well... once you play with it and figure out how it works. Of course... there's no one who can tell you or show you how it works!

Sadly there are quite a few of these nifty tools that scarely anyone uses due to poor documentation and lack of training. I've started it half a dozen times only to give up because there are too many moving parts. I'll be interested in seeing if anyone else comes forward to help.

Thanks... and good luck!

-Brian

Hello Gabriel.

I have 5 years experience of Pro/weblink and I think its not so difficult.

I didint have any programing skills when I started, but I have built more than 50 tools.

I think weblink is the simplest of all APIs like weblink, JLink, toolkit and VB because javascript which is used to build tools for weblink is easy to learn.

You have to do 2 things below when you use weblink tools.

1. set you config option "web_enable_javascript" on

2. set your interner explorer security setting to "low"

for further information, you should see <proe loadpoint>/weblink/weblinkug.pdf

It doesn't write all so if you have any questions, contact me at nezu_jun@iesincs.co.jp

good luck!

hi, whaty kind of engineering jobs you have. can you give me some examples...

I know this is an old post... but hopefully this is better late than never.

If you want to learn about Pro/WEBLINK, I think the best resource is the book "Design Automation and Pro/Web.Link". See http://proetoolbox.co.uk. The book is by Chris Lewis, a former PTC employee who self published on lulu. http://www.lulu.com/shop/christopher-lewis/a-proengineers-guide-to-proweblink/paperback/product-21750522.html

Some of the practices around javascript and html are out of date by today's standards. But if you are familiar with modern javascript and html5 coding practices, and/or get some good books on modern javascript and html5, then you'll be able to identify and ignore the older javascript and html practices that are shown in the weblink book. So when you read the book focus on the weblink aspects - this is the real value of the book. If you go through the lessons and case studies you'll understand the API well and you'll learn how to navigate the weblink documentation that comes with Creo or Pro/ENGINEER. And once you understand the basics of the API and how to navigate the docs included with Creo or Pro/ENGINEER, then you'll be able to do lots.

Note: Learning about weblink's API through this book would also help learn/understand jlink. JLink is a java API... and it is more powerful than weblink, but their api's share a lot of common/similar interfaces to those in weblink. You can use jlink with the Rhino JS interpretter too... So if you prefer javascript, you can use the more advanced jlink api through Rhino JS. Similarly you can use jython if you like python... and other languages available in the JVM.

(I should mention: I have the 1st edition and that's what my comments are based on. I see there is a new edition that was updated for Creo.)

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags