cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Did you have a mentor?

BettinaGiemsa
17-Peridot

Did you have a mentor?

When you think back to an earlier stage in your career, or maybe this is where you are now, was there a mentor in your company? A go-to-person for help on “how to do this in Creo Elements/Pro” or another engineering topic?

2 REPLIES 2

Hi

I had one, the first time I came in contact with pro-e. It was an older versionand in use for 10years and totally adapted to what must be done.

Not easy to use at first, so I needed a mentor. I heard last he lost his job. I think nobody will ever be able to start working with it again. Pro-e was totally different in use as what I do now with WF5. It is only 2 years ago and I have allready difficulties with recalling what I have done there. I was there only 6 months. I remember something with preserving numbers for all the parts I was about to make in a asm. if not the numbers did not follow one another.

Hope someone has something with what I wrote here.

Regards

Chris

Yes.

I did a one-week training course to get started, but within my team there's always been a guy who is very good at producing robust, clean models (at least for the types of components we work with). Over the years he's continually critiqued my models and drawings, and I'll happily admit that some of my early models were pretty horrible - especially having had to modify them a year or two later...

Now I'm more even in status, and the most experienced of us trade ideas and debate the best way to model things; and in turn I'm now helping to mentor our newer team members. We're pretty harsh on them sometimes, but it pays dividends in producing models that are easy and reliable to work with down the line - very important for us, as because many of our new components are similar to previous ones, we often take a donor model and modify it, rather than starting from scratch. Any poor modelling can be perpetuated for a long time!

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags