cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to calculate the depth of hole thread if it is bind hole ?

hsuryaprakash
1-Newbie

Hi

Pls find th eimage

Details ;

M10x1.5, 40 length , thread length 26 mm

Over all assemble length 40 mm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

3.75 is 2.5 * 1.5mm and the 1mm is for good measure (actually, it is part of the formula posted above)

Please remember that you have to consider the type of thread tapping method you are using. 2.5 * pitch is for roll formed threads.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Haris,

according to me go on Right tool chest where you got Hole option go through this, Now this will open sub option it contain shape option where you able to see and provide standard dimension as sown in capture PNG image

It depends on what type of tap is being used. First of all you need a counterbore or pre-drill for the unthreaded part of that particular screw. This requires a separate feature created before the threaded hole so the cosmetic thread has a good start surface.

This is a pretty nice guide for the pilot drill depth courtesy of:

http://tapmatic.com/images/pdf/Drill%20Depth%20Clearance.pdf

tap_clearance_ref.PNG

Anotinous in above diagram the value you took 0.05 what is that value and 1/4-20 standard what it represents. Please tell us to know more about

In English measurement threads have two numbers to describe them:

1) The nominal diameter

2) The number of thread turns in each inch

1/4 = .250 inch

20 = 20 turns to advance the thread one inch. The pitch is 1/20 inch per turn = .05 inch

Metric thread usually use (you know this, for comparison)

1) Nominal diameter

2) thread pitch

Hi

Still I have a doubt

The M15x1.5 bolt penetrated into hole to 30 mm . The overall profile length is 30.5 mm.

It become 30-50mm =20 mm remaining length

So, out of the remaining above value what will be the hole thread length( blind hole) or clearance ? How to calculate ?

It is an metric thread

Capture.PNG

Do your mertic taps have a taper length specified?

If not, you example, M15x1.5 is 30+3.75+1.5+1=36.25 to the shoulder, not the drill point.

This will accomodate a 40mm long bolt using a 10mm thick mating feature. If the bolt has non-threaded region longer that 10mm, of course, you have to clear that as well.

Antonius hear what is 3.75 and 1 in that example

3.75 is 2.5 * 1.5mm and the 1mm is for good measure (actually, it is part of the formula posted above)

Please remember that you have to consider the type of thread tapping method you are using. 2.5 * pitch is for roll formed threads.

Hi

In pro e ,I found variable length option in hole dialogue box .How to define that

The depth value is differ

Please find the image & make sure the depth value & variable value for the thread bolt remaining length

Capture.PNG1.PNG

The intent is to have 30mm depth of thread (minimum). That is if the 10mm plate is always 10mm minimum.

There is typically only one reason to know the drill depth and that is to know if you have enough material to not break out the other side. Bottoming taps and machined threads give you more options and sometimes manufacturing costs are involved. However, this is mostly for "rule of thumb" design criteria. I leave it up to the manufacturer and i may provide a maximum drill point depth. I always give the manufacturer a minimum full thread depth. In you case, I may request a minimum full thread depth of 32mm. I would model the drill point depth to something reasonable. The table above is a nice guide and simple enough to follow. I would use the value of 32 for the end of the threads in the calculation.

So ,in attached proe above imgae minimun full thread depth is (variable in pro e dialogue box is 33) & max drill point depth is 36 .

Is the values what I have give for 30 mm thread inside hole is ok ?

The drill point is actually the option next to "36" in the dialog image. You have the "shoulder" option hughlighted. Drill Point is the very tip. On drawings this is "DP".

Thank you all for your valuable reply.

Here every one is talking about the clearance b/w shoulder .

But i am asking the depth value (marked red colour in image )what we have to give for the 30 mm depth of bolt thread .How to calculate ?Capture.PNG

The red needs to be at least 30. But you have to include tolerances. Bolts are rarely longer than specified, but the mating plate has a tolerance that must be accounted for. Having an additional thread for good measure is quite normal. I don't know of any rule, however.

Thank you so much

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags