cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Pro/PROGRAM

ldagenais
1-Newbie

Pro/PROGRAM

Hi,

I am new to Proe and I want to know the advantage of "Pro/PROGRAM" and how we can use it.

Is there any setting required to see and edit the program.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Program doesn't work directly with Excel. When regenerating a part or assembly that has been altered to accept Input values, the user can tell Creo to read them from a file which can be saved from Excel or Word or Notepad, but Program doesn't use any of those to run. Program can also create model instances, though it can alter the Program if required to maintain integrity. Program only controls features in parts and assemblies, not drawings.

There is also drawing program, which is entirely separate and without similarity to Program.

No one can be sure what will work for you without a better problem description.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Program is a textual description of the model tree that allows the addition of some statements that affect regeneration status and parameter values/passing. There's no setting (through WF5) to see and edit the program. Everything you can do with Program could be done entirely manually.

http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_pma_hc/usascii/pma/fundamentals/About_Pro_PROGRAM.html

It isn't a general purpose programming language; you can't use it to create new features or create loops.

You can use it as part of a top-down design system to allow coordinating various sub assemblies and parts from a top level.

One use I've made of it is to create a parameter, add that parameter to a family table, and use that parameter in Program to toggle features/components on and off, instead of adding dozens or hundreds of separate items to the table. Changing the location of the IF/ ENDIF statements in the Program controls which items are included or excluded according to one parameter in the family table.

Other uses are more clever, but there's too much to put into this response, hence the link above. If there are more specific questions, ask away.

David,

Thanks for the answer.

I am trying to create multiple parts with little variation in geometry.

I need individual part and its drawing.

Thinking of to use this program with excel to create parts and drawing.

I want to know, pro/program can be used or I need API toolkit?

Thanks

Program doesn't work directly with Excel. When regenerating a part or assembly that has been altered to accept Input values, the user can tell Creo to read them from a file which can be saved from Excel or Word or Notepad, but Program doesn't use any of those to run. Program can also create model instances, though it can alter the Program if required to maintain integrity. Program only controls features in parts and assemblies, not drawings.

There is also drawing program, which is entirely separate and without similarity to Program.

No one can be sure what will work for you without a better problem description.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags