cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Recreate WF5 Data in WF4.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Recreate WF5 Data in WF4.

I have data from a client that a different outside vendor did for them in WF5 but they are still on WF4.  I know about the CGRI plugin, but is there any easy way to get the features from the WF5 model into a blank WF4 model.  At one time I thought that there was a technique using a UDF that would allow it to be brought into an older version, but I’m not sure if that still works.

I’m fairly sure that I’m out of luck, but thought I’d throw a Hail Mary pass.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
3 REPLIES 3

Any reason you don't want to test drive the CGRI plugin?

I'd love to hear more about this plugin if for no other reason than to make examples available for more users.

The client wants native WF4 files, ultimately. Unfortunately, the person coordinating the initial project did not specify this and the intial evidently vendor did not ask.

I've tried CGRI with some success.  It's pretty finicky and relies on very careful data management and specific steps to update from one version to another.  If you simply open the WF5 model in WF4, it appears to work.  All the features are visible in WF4, but not editable.  I can add features in WF4 and everything.

However, if you simply re-open the file again in WF5, all the features are un-editable in WF5, including the native WF5 features.  One needs to keep the WF4 & WF5 version separate, open the WF5 model the 'graft' the WF4 features into it by selecting file -> Graft and browsing to the WF4 model.  Workable, but not intuitive and easy to mess up.

For me, a STEP export from WF5 and into WF4 is more straightforward.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks for the feedback.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags