cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Search of Pro-E file

mrasheed-2
1-Newbie

Search of Pro-E file

Hi,

Can i find a pro-E file from windows search containing text of note properties  just like we search MS Office file containing some text or giving its contents

5 REPLIES 5

I think this fails to work if file compression is selected. This option makes the files on disk smaller, much like ZIP compression does, but it does not apply the compression to the entire file.

Because it only applies to part of the file Windows can't decompress the file to read the contents for text searches.

Hi,

requested functionality is not available.

MH

Martin Hanák

He did ask about Pro-E, not Creo, but PTC has worked hard to make a feature that was useful unobtainable.

I extracted the notes from drawings using AWK, until rev 2000i** (when they went to file compression encoding to stop Solidworks from easily siphoning their customers. It was a great way to see if notes were sensible and consistent without opening and regenning all of them.

**It's been a while, so I may be off a rev.

As we find any MS Office file in searching option of Windows by giving this, if file name not known:

*.doc: shopping               All files of doc having "shopping" content

*.xls: expenditure            All files of xls having "expenditure" content

Just like above example i want to find a file of Pro-E having content "fan_drawing"

Can i find this by using Windows search option

Hi,

Windows Search does not understand the contents of ProE/Creo files. Therefore you cannot find "fan_drawing" using Windows Search.

If you deploy PTC Widchill solution, then you can find "fan_drawing" using Widchill search functionality.

MH

Martin Hanák
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags