cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

knurling

ptc-2756516
1-Newbie

knurling

is there a way to add a knurling finish to a model?
16 REPLIES 16
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-2756516)

Do a search on the net for free 3D textures... there are tons of them out there. I'd be willing to bet there are some knurling patterns out there. Save as a .jpeg and you can apply it to any surface as a texture.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
WillyC
1-Newbie
(To:CBenner)

In defiance of common sense and utterly against all odds, I found this in Haystack 1.0. Sounds a bit like what you're looking for, but I can't get past changing classes let alone anywhere near Photoluxiness. I'm only posting this cuz I really like a longshot. To Map the Knurl Shader Click View > Color and Appearance. The Appearance Editor dialog box opens. Set the appearance Class to any procedural type other than Generic. Select Knurl for the Bump channel in the Photolux tab. Click Edit. The Knurl shader parameters dialog box opens. Specify a value for Scale. Specifying a value for Scale affects all of the other options in the editor. Edit the other attributes of the shader, if required. Amplitude—Determines the maximum height of each knurl. Blend—Determines the amount of blending between the knurl angles. If required, you can position the shader using the Position container. If the result is not desirable, edit the properties or position of the shader until you are satisfied with the result.

Gee, and here I was thinking someone was going to actually model it......
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:DELETEME)

We're all waiting for you, Frank.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Here is a method I have used for cosmetic knurling. Create an angled Datum Plane through the relevant Axis, and an offset Datum Plane from that beyond the surface to be knurled. Sketch an angled line on the 2nd Plane and Wrap it around the surface. Now group the 4 features (2 Planes, Sketch, & Wrap) and Pattern the Group. Do it again at a symmetrical angle and you have a diamond knurl. David

Actually, you don't have to do it twice if you sketch an "X" the first time instead of one angle line.

e.g.:

"Chris Benner" wrote:

We're all waiting for you, Frank.

actually i do want to model it. it's a diamond knurl, with a chamfer around each

Here's a "real" diamond knurl created by following generally the technique mentioned above. It consists of 2 patterns of Swept Cuts following Warp trajectories extending on surfaces beyond the edges of the protrusion. It was a little tricky, so if anyone wants more detail let me know.

Just once more. The previous technique was a little too messy. It's really easy with two patterns of Helical Swept Cuts, one RH & one LH. Start and finish the trajectory beyond the ends of the cylinder for cleanest results, sketch Normal to Trajectory.

You da MAN David! I was going to play with it and hadn't gotten to it. How is the file size on that?

Ay, there's the rub! Pretty hefty. First one (green) is 4Mb, second(blue) is 11Mb. It's interesting that the second one is so much bigger because it employs a much quicker, easier and cleaner method of creation. I would only do this if I were modeling one fastener in isolation; certainly wouldn't put 6 or 8 of them into an assembly. It's the same as the situation with "real" threads, of course.

"David Butz" wrote:

Ay, there's the rub! Pretty hefty. First one (green) is 4Mb, second(blue) is 11Mb. It's interesting that the second one is so much bigger because it employs a much quicker, easier and cleaner method of creation. I would only do this if I were modeling one fastener in isolation; certainly wouldn't put 6 or 8 of them into an assembly. It's the same as the situation with "real" threads, of course.

Didn't clock them, but I didn't think they were too bad. This discussion makes me want to try some other variants, e.g. a 2-direction pattern of pyramid blends. Who knows, that could be really huge.

"David Butz" wrote:

Didn't clock them, but I didn't think they were too bad. This discussion makes me want to try some other variants, e.g. a 2-direction pattern of pyramid blends. Who knows, that could be really huge.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags