cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Multibody - How to create a body intersection curve and what might it be good for?

100% helpful (1/1)

Hello everyone and welcome to blog post #14 in this multibody blog series.

Today’s blog is about the use of the “Intersect” Feature to create the intersection curve between two bodies (or quilts)

You might remember that Creo 7.0 introduced Boolean Operations to perform merge, subtract and intersect operations between bodies. These operations act upon a “target” body which is modified during the Boolean operation. The resulting object there is still a body.

In order to create an intersection curve, we therefore cannot use the Body Boolean operations feature, but will use the “Intersect” feature within the “Editing” group.

mneumueller_0-1685465525937.png

Starting with Creo 7.0, this “Intersect” feature allows to select bodies as references.
In this first example, we select Body 1 (yellow box) and Body  (grey cylinder) and get the full intersection curve as a result. This is illustrated in the image below. (Result is shown in small overlay image)

mneumueller_1-1685465525945.jpeg

Note that you could also select just a single body in combination with one or multiple surfaces to get a partial intersection curve. In the example illustrated below we create the intersection curve based on a selection of the grey body 2 and 2 selected (red) surfaces of the yellow body 1.

mneumueller_2-1685465525948.jpeg

Finally, what could this intersection curve be used for?

Intersection curves allow for a fast creation of a quilt representing the surface contours that are covered by the intersection (in particular for closed curves). You can for example use the curve generated in the first example as input to create a designated area. The image below shows the “Designated Area” feature with the closed intersection curve as input when placed on the yellow Body 1. The resulting quilt is illustrated in the small additional image.

mneumueller_3-1685465525957.jpeg

Starting with Creo 9.0 and higher you can also divide/split these surfaces based on those curves.
Watch the video below to see an example use case of this.

And as I was at video creation, I thought I could also re-emphasize the usage of

• Body visibility controls
  • The usage of intent surfaces created by features such as “Divide Surface” and “Boolean Operations”

Thanks for reading.  I hope it was informative.

If you liked it, give it a Kudo.

Back to Creo Parametric- Multibody Home: Start Here!

Enjoy!....Martin

Version history
Last update:
‎May 30, 2023 12:55 PM
Updated by:
Labels (2)
Contributors