cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

LNK1104: cannot open file error

ms-6
6-Contributor

LNK1104: cannot open file error

Hi all,

I get error LNK1104: cannot open file when I uses VS 2015, but I dont have error when i use VS2010

Kindly help

5 REPLIES 5
GabrielZaha
12-Amethyst
(To:ms-6)

What file it causing the error.

If is one of the object files of your application then first thing I'd suggest is to try again.

I'm seeing this behavior sometimes. It is almost like the compiler does not release the lock on the file fast enough.

If the error comes from one of the library files the you need to compare the settings between VS2015 and VS2010.

Also, if your paths or filenames includes spaces make sure the path is surrounded by quotes.

Here is the link to the Microsoft documentation about this error:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/error-messages/tool-errors/linker-tools-error-lnk1104?view=vs-2019

ms-6
6-Contributor
(To:GabrielZaha)

I used a make file to create a toolkit application, using VS2015. When I try to compile my code I get error message cannot open file 'protoolkit. H'
GabrielZaha
12-Amethyst

Let's try to clarify something. At this point you already talk about two different errors. When you opened this thread you mentioned error LNK1104. This is a linker error

On your replay you mention the error message at the compile time about not finding 'protoolkit. H' . This is a different kind of error. Most likely C1083

Here are some things for you to look for:

1. Make sure your source code calls for 'protoolkit.h' There is no space between dot and letter h.

2. If the error persists make sure the compiler knows where to look for include files by using the -I switch in the compile flags.

3. After you clear all compiler errors you can move to the linker errors as I described in my previous replay.

ms-6
6-Contributor
(To:GabrielZaha)

@GabrielZaha its not working.. I use VS 2015 professional edition. Can you please guide me in the initial setup and for VS

GabrielZaha
12-Amethyst

Please study the Protoolkit and Visual Studio documentation.

Under the <LoadPoint Directory>\protoolkit\x86e_win64\obj you will find the following two zip files:

protk_install_example.zip - this one contains a sample project that use a makefile

pt_install_cxx.zip - this zip file contains a complete VS2015 solution. You need to set the CREO_INSTALL environment variable to point to the creo loadpoint directory, for this to work.

If your project is based on a makefile you need to study the "Running the Microsoft Visual Studio Solution" section from the tkuse.pdf and the protk_install_example.zip

If you are using an non-makefile project make sure you use the same options as in pt_install_cxx solution.

On the Visual Studio documentation look at least for how to specify additional Include directories for the compiles and how to specify additional libraries for the linker.

Top Tags