cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Anyone else find mechanism a complete pain?

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Anyone else find mechanism a complete pain?

I swear, the GUI is a nightmare to use, it's non-intuitive, confusing, and worse of all the constraints are totally fragile, far too limited, and simply don't work well or reliably. What a complete pain. I've never used mechanism in SW, but my co-workers who have all hate mechanism in Pro/E, and I'd have to agree with them. I hate using it. I avoid it whenever I can. I usually just do a layout to see if moving parts will fit and not interfere. Gah!

PTC, you need to fix this.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I had to actually delete the problem parts, and rebuild the mechanism. Total waste of time. Add to this that Windburn was down all day yesterday and I wasn't able to even work offline (it all just kept locking up) and you basically have another full day and a half wasted. Nice....

Yep, been there, done that. You really have to spend some quality time with this one. It is a very nice tool but as you say, the UI and intuition value is near nil. Just setting up the constraints is a huge hurdle to overcome. Add to this the few that actually master it can probably be counted on the limited digits of the human body.

Can you imagine Creo Parametric as open source where anyone could build a real UI around it? Software intelligent enough to -ask you- what you are trying to accomplish and having a guided path toward your goal instead of the other way around. What a world this could be

Sorry Frank. This is one you will have to learn. Let me know if I can help you with anything in particular.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Hey thanks Antonius! I think I've gotten a pretty good handle on it, it just seems the constraints are fragile. These were family table parts, and I made some changes to the table, and the assembly then lost it's friggin' mind. 2 of the parts had to be completely re-constrained, and the other 2 I had to delete, and re-insert, then it workd fine. Ugh! What a PITA..... My SW friends tell me how much simpler SW is in that regard. I've never used that part of SW, so I can't say.

Top Tags