Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up relational table

Re: Trying to set up relational table

It'd be nice to see the geometry you're actually trying to create, as a image file, or, better, a STEP. Why the steps?

Frank:

I'll screen capture the other more complicated end.

Last sections.JPG

This is the reason for the sections. I copied these sections directly from the customer model. This view shows the sections fairly well but there also is a good degree of twist in which you can't see.

sections top.JPG

This picture shows the twisting involved with the datums.

I have used VSS successfully in the past in applications like this. The reason that I like this is that I was able to capture every draft angle value in a family table and by incrementing by 1 I could get a true value for this change. I would like to see how you might offset the corner intersection to reflect a 1 degree change with VSS, but this gives me a value I can trust. Unfortunately for customer proprietary reasons I can't release this model online.

John: Perhaps these pictures help explain what I'm trying to achieve. I was thinking that it would be best to show the simple part of this model, but it doesn't adequately describe the complications.

To be honest I am happy with the results I am getting from Family Tables. Someone today showed how I could use Excel to quickly change the angle value (of course that is once the numerous angle values already were captured)

I'm still holding out hope that there would be a way to parametrically change just 1 value to update all values, but until that time I'm fairly happy.

Ok, so, there are no hard steps, which is what I was asking. You can create a spine trajectory for a VSS, put points at different locations (either % or distance) along that trajectory where you want to control the angle, and then use a graph feature driven by an evaluate feature (to get the spine length to use in the X direction on the graph) with relations to control the angle smoothly at those points. I.E., say, at the first point you want an angle of 30deg(sd1), at the second point you want sd1 + 1deg (this is now sd2), at the 3rd point you want sd2 + 1deg (which is now sd3), etc.

Those sections, unless those orientations are critical, lead to a bumpy shape.

I can relate the proprietary issue.

If I get some free time, maybe I'll make a quick model and send it to ya.

Thank you Frank,

This is something I'll certainly need to use when I do offset value VSS.

Varying depths do pose a challenge to this method but it will be interesting to see how the graph you suggest would counter this issue.

David,

I have looked at numerous relational videos but I haven't found something that modifies multiple entities off a original offset value.

I talked with tech support from our CAD reseller. He didn't see any way I could change these multiple values easily. He ended up helping me do this decent with a family table.

What does it mean ' modifies multiple entities off a original offset value'?

I expected that there was a value for each section supplied by the customer, like X and you wanted each section to have a value X+Y; so you would create a relation d1 = X1 + Y ... dm = Xm + Y for each section dimension, I understand that this idea isn't what you wanted, but I don't understand what result you did expect.

David,

I think you understand what I'm after correctly.

I'm needing each angle feature increased just 1 degree more than the original angle.

It appears you can only increase each feature independently with a formula as you suggest. I haven't seen that you can name all the differing independent features by a common name tag that would allow you to select and change all these features at once. Am I right???

Is this more what you were looking for? I used a planar spine for the VSS, though you don't need to. There is a smooth transition between the sections and angles, driven by the graph feature. It's all tied together via relations and parameters. I could have used relations to control the points on the graph to be equal if I'd wanted. One fun thing is that you can do Dynamic Edit on the ANGLE_DEFINITION_POINTS feature's points, and watch it change while you drag it! Unfortunately you can't also do that with the graph.

VSS_VARIABLE_DRAFT-01.jpg

Frank,

I've looked at your model.

It is very interesting how you've influenced the end result with your controls on this part.

I couldn't understand how your graph worked, I didn't see how the numbers correlated to the model.

That is very nice how you can influence along the spine curve with the points.

It is interesting how you used an up and down curve for depth to go along with the origin trajectory.

You have a flair for using abstract controls to get to your final result. I still consider myself a new Pro Engineer user, but I can see I've not scratched the surface on what different tools can do.

I don't believe this method could control the sectional twisting needed but I will certainly refer back to what you've shown me here for ideas in how to get the most out of the available tools within this software.