cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

BACnet I/P driver configuration details to browse tags from Johnson Controls & Schneider controllers

BenLauSW
5-Regular Member

BACnet I/P driver configuration details to browse tags from Johnson Controls & Schneider controllers

Hi, my name is Ben Lau, the Project Engineer from a System Integrator in Hong Kong. I would like to communicate with the Johnson Controls NAE and Schneider SmartX controllers through BACnet I/P driver of your KEPSeverEX software. However, I have difficulties in configuration details:

1. When attempting automatic tag generation for a node under Schneider SmartX Controller, the diagnostics window displayed completed status (only built-in tags generated by KEPServer BACnet I/P driver is available) but the following two warnings:
    1. "Error reading segmentation supported from remote device. Segmentation will not be supported."
    2. "Error reading object list from device. | Class = '1 (Object)', Code = '31 (Unknown Object)'."
  2.  When attempting automatic tag generation for Johnson Controls NAE Controller, the diagnostics window displayed "Unable to generate a tag database for (Device Name). The device is not responding.".
  3. Please refer to the attached screenshots for current BACnet I/P settings for both onsite and the KEPServerEX software. Please advise the correct configuration settings in order to successfully communicate with the onsite controllers.
  4. For Driver (Channel) Protocol Setting under Properties, what is the local device instance for the BACnet I/P controller? Since BACnet Ethernet I/P settings in onsite application do not mention it. Thanks a lot!

Installed KEPServer Version: V6.14.263.0 (Demo Version)

Operating System Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

2 REPLIES 2

@LS_10774172 

It sounds like the device does not support segmentation. You can verify this by checking the device's PICS statement. If it does not, you can set Device > Properties > Protocol Settings > Max. Items per Request to 1 instead of 16.

Please take a look at the knowledge base article in the following link to help resolve the Error 31 issue:

Article - CS336438 - BACnet error code 31 in PTC Kepware products

Thanks,

*Chris

BenLauSW
5-Regular Member
(To:cmorehead)

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply! Let me describe more details on our current job background. Two existing sites have been installed with Johnson Controls NAE and Schneider SmartX controllers respectively for Building Services equipment monitoring and control through BACnet protocol. One workstation in each site is installed with their own brand SCADA software through BACnet I/P. In this case, without interrupting the existing operation, our missions are to:

1. Provide a new PC/server in both sites which respectively connects to the following controllers (one at time) by KEPServerEX BACnet I/P driver in order to get the tag data from them: 
    • Johnson Controls NAE
    • Schneider SmartX
  2. Convert the obtained tag data into JSON format and export to the PC directory (e.g. FTP server) as a .json file for the web-based application to read.

As mentioned in problems #3 and #4 in previous post, I am not familiar with BACnet I/P configuration details. I wonder what the differences between local device instance (channel protocol setting) and ID (device general setting) are. Take Johnson Controls as an example. Three device levels, each has its own network address / instance number, are found: FC under NAE (controller), DDC (Remote I/O) and Field equipment. The screenshots are attached for your information. Please advise which is which. Thanks!

Announcements

Top Tags