cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

IoT Gateway Rest Client - Getting data from a wireless internet source into a Tag

Karson
5-Regular Member

IoT Gateway Rest Client - Getting data from a wireless internet source into a Tag

Hey there,

First I want to say that I am rather new to this, just learning my way through an existing system. I don't know a ton about APIs or KEPServer. I've been tasked with taking wireless sensors and retrieving their data through Rest API. The sensors are known as Alta Monnit Sensors. Their web portal showcases a way to retrieve data this way. 

KL_10673596_1-1719256994886.png

They also have a guide on how to receive the data utilizing Postman

KL_10673596_2-1719257045878.png

Now I believe what I want to do is create on IOT Gateway Agent, use "https://www.imonnit.com/json/SensorGet?sensorID=1220966 " as my URL, POST as my method. However from here, if I'm on the right track, I'm not sure how to get the data into tags.

Any advice?

3 REPLIES 3

@KL_10673596 

Yes, you are on the right track. Here are a few links which might help you started:

Kepware-Example-Scripts/IoT Gateway/Read and Write Examples/Node.js/Read_Calc_Write Examples at master · PTCInc/Kepware-Example-Scripts · GitHub

CS376106 - Postman example to write tag with Kepware IOT Gateway REST Server Agent (ptc.com)

IoT Gateway Demo Video (youtube.com)

I also recommend opening a support ticket with the Kepware team for additional more detailed instruction catered to your specific architecture. Here is a link to the login page where a ticket can be opened:

Thanks,

*Chris

Karson
5-Regular Member
(To:cmorehead)

I've made a support ticket.

As a form of solving my issue, I made a Python Script that sends a POST Request to Monnit, stores that needed data from the reply, then sends a POST message to a REST Server Agent telling it to update simulation device tags.

I would personally like to remove the middle man, the python script, from this process, but it works.

Karson
5-Regular Member
(To:Karson)

Currently thinking using universal device driver will be the way to go. Working with PTC support to create a device profile to achieve the desired solution. Will post update and solution.

youtube link for universal device driver. Link 

Top Tags