cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Kepware OPC DA Client to a ABB 800xA OPC DA server within a domain

WC_10260406
1-Newbie

Kepware OPC DA Client to a ABB 800xA OPC DA server within a domain

I try to establish the OPC communication between Kepware OPC DA Client to ABB 800xA OPC DA Server within a domain. I already follow the "Configuration Guide Remote OPC DA (DCOM)" to setup DCOM, firewall, discovery on the OPC DA Server. But it wont able to discover the OPC server through the setup wizard. In the Kepware OPC quick client can poll data from the server if I specific locate the Remote Machine IP and Prog ID. I did try to setup channel with the specific Remote Machine IP and Prog ID, but it wont poll any data, since the OPC path is wrong.

For instance, the correct path is

Applications.Application_1.Diagram1.MaxReal_.Out
Since I created a channel in Kepware, now the path is

Channel1.Device1.Applications.Application_1.Diagra m1.MaxReal_.Out.

The driver wont be able to poll data from this path.

Is possible to poll data from ABB OPC DA Client from an external machine? and what setup I have not done?

1 REPLY 1

@WC_10260406,

It appears you may have the incorrect Prog ID configured in the OPC DA Client Driver. The Prog ID usually consists of the Vendor.ApplicationName.Version, for example the KEPServerEX prog ID would be (Kepware.KEPServerEX.V6). Are you able to reach out to the target server Vendor to obtain the correct Prog ID?  You mentioned, you were able to use the QuickClient Test Client to connect directly to the remote target server with good quality for the tags. Are you able to get the target Prog ID used to make the QuickClient connection and use it in the OPC DA Client Driver configuration? The inability to browse for the remote target server is typically an indication misconfigured DCOM settings. It would make sense that the QuickClient would still work, since the QuickClient is merely connection testing client and will succeed even without proper DCOM set up.  The Prog ID used in the successful QuickClient connection should be same used in the OPC DA Client Driver connection. If the connection is failing after inputting the Prog ID used in the QC connection, I recommend opening a Support Ticket with the Kepware Technical Support team to troubleshoot the connection. Here is a link to the page where a ticket can be logged:

https://my.kepware.com/s/login/

Thanks,

*Chris

Top Tags