cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Quick Client will connect to a server but KepServer Won't

DW_10651960
2-Guest

Quick Client will connect to a server but KepServer Won't

Hi, 

I'm wanting to use KepServer as a way to expose an OPCDA device via OPCUA. I can connect to the device's server using Quick Client (and other clients), when its configured in KepServer I can browse and import tags but then KepServer fails to connect at the last moment. . . 

Screenshot: 

1) Quick Client Happily connected

2) Config in KepServer

3) Failure. . . 

DW_10651960_0-1720545887973.png

Any help appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@DW_10651960 

Could be a couple of issues. The prog ID does not look like it's in the correct format. For instance, the Prog ID for KEPServerEX looks like this: Kepware.KEPServerEX.v6 . This may not be the only issue. You stated the Quick Client can connect directly to the server but the connection using the OPC DA Client Driver does not work. This is typically an indication that the Microsoft DCOM parameters have not been adjusted with the appropriate permissions. The Quick Client works because it is merely a test client and does not abide by DCOM restrictions. Here is a link to the Kepware knowledge base article that covers DCOM:

Article - CS294079 - Troubleshooting tips for OPC DA Client driver connectivity in PTC Kepware Products

If the adjustment of the DCOM settings does not resolve the issue, I recommend opening a support ticket with the Kepware team for additional assistance. Here is a link to the login page where a support ticket can be opened:

Thanks,

*Chris 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@DW_10651960 

Could be a couple of issues. The prog ID does not look like it's in the correct format. For instance, the Prog ID for KEPServerEX looks like this: Kepware.KEPServerEX.v6 . This may not be the only issue. You stated the Quick Client can connect directly to the server but the connection using the OPC DA Client Driver does not work. This is typically an indication that the Microsoft DCOM parameters have not been adjusted with the appropriate permissions. The Quick Client works because it is merely a test client and does not abide by DCOM restrictions. Here is a link to the Kepware knowledge base article that covers DCOM:

Article - CS294079 - Troubleshooting tips for OPC DA Client driver connectivity in PTC Kepware Products

If the adjustment of the DCOM settings does not resolve the issue, I recommend opening a support ticket with the Kepware team for additional assistance. Here is a link to the login page where a support ticket can be opened:

Thanks,

*Chris 

Well I learned something new, I never know I could disable DCOM on the client driver. 

The ProgID is correct - its a weird one. What fixed the issue was: 

• Check KSE/TWIC Administration > Runtime options > toggle Use DCOM configuration settings
    • If QuickClient can connect, set it the same as the QuickClient Tools > Options > Use DCOM for remote security
    • Note:
      • disabling DCOM means unsecure connection
      • not recommended for production environments

Luckily this is fine in my application!

Thanks

Top Tags