cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

File Conversion Question Using Creo Student Version

aevans
1-Newbie

File Conversion Question Using Creo Student Version

Hello, I am in need of some immediate answered questions. I hired a student to do some CAD drawings, that I would be able to use in my patent submission and be able to send the files to get an manufacturing quote. I also wanted the files to be in a format that could be edited easily in the future (after prototype testing was completed). The student is refusing to give me these files in a format, which I can send to get a quote from my manufacturer (ex. STP file) and in a format that can be edited in the future easily by another mechanical engineer.

I need to know if the files the student created in the student version of CREO (not sure which version), which he saved as PRT files can be converted in that same program to files that can be used to send to manufacturing (ex. STP file). I also need to know by which program would be needed to convert the PRT files into a file type that can be used for another mechanical engineer to make needed future changes. I have summarized below:

1. How can someone convert a PRT file type, created in Creo student version software ?

2. What file type should a PRT file type, created in Creo student, be converted to, so it can be accessible to any other mechanical engineer, that needed to make changes to the files in the future?

3. Can you convert PRT files, created in Creo student to STP files that can be sent to manufacturing?

Please answer all questions above so I can better understand what my options are going forward.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:aevans)

‌PTC does have a translation program but it's offered to univercities and the companies working with them so they can convert the files back and forth. It could be that the student doesn't have access to that. The student version can create STP files but you won't get a feature tree. Just looking at the description of what you are trying to do it may also be that what you are wanting violates the student licensing agreement. PTC has done this intentionally, not sure if they would convert the file for you or not but you could ask. Not sure if he is still the head of the Stundent Program for PTC but you might try looking up and contacting Mark Fischer. He was very helpful in answering questions and helping out if possible. My guess is worst case you may need to recreate the model in the commercial version if you can't get it converted or get a STP.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:aevans)

Kevin has answered the conversion to a commercial file format question. He also raised a question about legality of the design in production. This is from the evaluation (student) license agreement: "You hereby agree not to use the Software for production purposes."

Announcements

Top Tags