cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Fixtures disappear after being applied to manufacturing assembly

cmerani
6-Contributor

Fixtures disappear after being applied to manufacturing assembly

I am using Creo Parametric - Release 3.0 (connected) 3.0 M190

Fixture disappears after being applied to manufacturing assembly model.

Here are the errors that I faced
No errors or messages. Fixture simply does not show in the assembly after placing. This apparently has been an issue since prior to Creo 1.0. What is the cause of this and how can I work around it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:cmerani)

When I've wanted to have fixtures in my manufacturing assembly, to avoid cutting them, put holding bolts in, use them as datums, etc. I assemble them in as reference model(s). That way if I'm being dopey and cut them I'll (hopefully) see it when I simulate the material removal.

You can have as many reference models and workpieces as you wish. Often, for fixture machining, I'll bring in all the parts and have toolpaths for them all in one file.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Have you already reported this issue to PTC's technical support?

cmerani
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirN)

Yes I have.  The response was to post here.  I have never had much success requesting support from PTC however.  The last time it took 3.5 years to get a solution.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Creo 3 M190 was released in January 2019 as the last release of Creo 3. It is now 5 versions out-of-date. I would not expect any support from PTC on any Creo 3 issues.

cmerani
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

They didn't respond to me when 3.0 was on its first release.  I also have zero interest in a subscription based software model so I will be staying on 3.0 until my license server dies.  This issue has been present (from a bit of google research) for quite a while and was still an issue in 5.0.  To be honest, I don't expect any help from PTC.  Just trying to see if any other users have found a work around.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

When I've wanted to have fixtures in my manufacturing assembly, to avoid cutting them, put holding bolts in, use them as datums, etc. I assemble them in as reference model(s). That way if I'm being dopey and cut them I'll (hopefully) see it when I simulate the material removal.

You can have as many reference models and workpieces as you wish. Often, for fixture machining, I'll bring in all the parts and have toolpaths for them all in one file.

cmerani
6-Contributor
(To:KenFarley)

Thanks for the info Ken.  This could potentially solve my dilemma.  I will accept as a solution as soon as I get a chance to test it.

cmerani
6-Contributor

OK Ken, I gave this a try and it definitely works!  I am accepting your response as the solution.  Follow up question though, if you have multiple processes, how do you handle fixturing?  Example, I need to perform some milling on a blank, then transfer to the wire EDM to perform finishing ops.  The fixture/vise will be different for the operations yet I need the workpiece in the EDM operations to reflect its condition after the milling operations.  Is this possible?  Any recommendations?  I have been using Creo since ProE2001 but I am very new to the Manufacturing module.  Thanks in advance!

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

If I've really needed the "near net" to verify I'm not being a dope and milling lots of air, I've done a couple of things.

(1) When I've used Moduleworks (I prefer NC-Post, it lets me run consecutive nc files), I save a simulated material removal of a stage of manufacture as whatever Moduleworks calls it, then load that in when I'm ready to run the next material removal simulation. Works well, but those files are really big.

(2) Last time I had a complex part to machine I knew I'd want to do this kind of thing, so when I built the models I installed the features in the same order as I was going to use for the manufacturing. Thus I could use the last step's model as the workpiece for the current step in manufacturing. This was also very useful when I was making setup drawings for the wire EDM operation at the end (we do that, too, sometimes). I like this method, but it is a horrorshow if I find I need it and I didn't plan for it.

There are probably folks who use the manufacturing stuff much more efficiently than me that might have tips and tricks or maybe just proper methodology for handling the transfer of partially machined things from process to process. Hopefully they'll jump in to chastise me and maybe help you out a bit...

cmerani
6-Contributor
(To:KenFarley)

There are always guys that make snarky comments to this type of thing but I am finding your input very helpful!  The manufacturing module in Creo is certainly not well documented and there just isn't enough resource out there for more complex workflows.  Thanks again for all of your input!

Top Tags