cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Sheetmetal variable thickness

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine

Sheetmetal variable thickness

Hello all, first time for me I'm stuck on sheetmetal !

Here's my problem. We have planned to make an aluminium sheetmetal 3mm thick part with just one simple bend. Our customer asked us to have a very small bend radius. As the part is only a cosmetic part (no heavy load or whatever) , we have thought of milling the bending area to make it 1mm thick on the bending zone. So it would look like something like this :

This one is made in solid mode. And of course I can't convert it to sheetmetal as it hasn't a constant thickness.

So I thought making it directly in sheetmetal mode, starting with a 1mm thick part. Then trying to thicken the part where I want. So far I thickened with surfaces but I can't solidify to make the part and it looks like this.

Your help is very welcome as we have to produce the parts this month !!

Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Raphaël,

I am not sheetmetal expert . Maybe the following procedure will help you.

1. create sheetmetal part 3 mm thick
  2. assemble the part into auxiliary assembly
  3. in assembly create assembly cut removing unwanted material from the part a set its visibility in part
  4. you are finished

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks Martin. The problem with this method is that when I create a 3mm sheetmetal part I have a big bend radius. If I make my sheetmetal part without the bend radius, make the cut then I can't define the bend because it detects that the part hasn't constant thickness.

Meanwhile, I have found a sort of workaround but not completely satisfied with it. I make my sheetmetal part with a 1mm thickness. Then I make a solid part into which I import (fusion) my sheetmetal part. Then I create a copy of surfaces I want to be more thick. This way I can have a flat state of my sheetmetal with variable thickness using a family table where I change the "fusioned" part. I don't know if my explanation is very clear for you !

I'm not really satisfied because I have to deal with two parts and some cuts in my part are related to a parent assembly.

Top Tags