cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Installation of Mathcad 11 on new computer

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite

Installation of Mathcad 11 on new computer

I have tried to install my copy of Mathcad 11 on a new computer (Windows 10 64-bit) as the old one is no longer viable. I have had no luck. I can't even get to a screen where I can enter the KEY and start the activation process.  I have the original CD and the product KEY.

This is what I get when I launch "setup" 

Derbigdog_0-1611417297559.png

Any help would be great appreciated.

BTW I do have Prime 6.0 and Mathcad 15 installed on the new PC.

2 REPLIES 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Derbigdog)

Mathcad 11 is, just like Mathcad 15, a 32-bit application. In principle it should run on a modern 64 bit Windows PC. However there exist (at least) two flavours of Mathcad 11:

Single user, licensed with Cdilla.

Enterprise Edition, licensed with FlexLM.

Cdilla is a nasty licensing system, that installs a software item deep into the OS, combined with a piece of data on a fixed location of your harddisk. On any 32-bit Windows OS there is no problem to install this, in contrast to 64-bit Windows. The OS is more stricterly protected against software wanting to nest stuff deep into its core, and prohibits direct access to the harddisk.  The only 64-bit windows OS that allows both these pieces of CDilla to be installed is Windows XP-64. There is NO migration path from Windows XP to other Windows.

On windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10 64-bit Mathcad 11 appears to install without errors, but vital parts of Cdilla are not installed, leading to no reaction upon launching Mathcad. You'll have to look into the logs of windows to find the installation error.

The other problem you have with the Cdilla scheme is that PTC has decided about 6 years ago, to stop the server required for activation. So even if you have a (newly installed) windows10 32-bit, you can successfully install Single user Mathcad 11, but you cannot activate it.

If you have the Enterprise edition, the licensing is FlexLM which is kept up to date and will also run on modern 64-bit Windows. Installing Mathcad 11 Enterprise edition on a new Windows10 64-bit OS should be possible without problems. I don't know if PTC still supports activation though FlexLM licensing..

If you want to (still) run Mathcad 11, you'll have to keep the old machine alive.

Success
Luc

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks Luc

Unfortunately I have the single user version. The old computer, which I used only for running software is past repair.  If you are wondering why I want to install Mathcad 11 when I have the latest versions of Prime and Mathcad 15, I over 25 years of Mathcad worksheets and some will only run properly on Mathcad 11. 

I did look at the event log and it is posted below. I am a retired engineer not an IT guy so I have a limited understanding of what the log is telling me. 

Faulting application name: Setup.exe_Mathcad 11, version: 1.0.0.1591, time stamp: 0x3d803ae5
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x197b16c5
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00104f4d
Faulting process id: 0x1144
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f1be39cb0f8c
Faulting application path: D:\Setup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 23ac8029-27ce-4365-bb06-3bfb52c8755c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Top Tags