cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Mathcad Community Challenge September 2022 - Resistors in Parallel

No ratings

This month’s challenge is related to electrical engineering. We have a simple circuit with an electrical potential of 220 Volts. Initially we have a single 10 Ohm resistor. Then we add a second resistor in parallel, with 10% higher resistance. Then we add a third resistor in parallel, with 10% higher resistance than the previous resistor. And so on.

• Calculate the current in the circuit for the single resistor case.
  • Calculate the resistance of each additional resistor and current through each resistor for 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10 resistors in parallel.
  • Can you write a function or program that calculates the resistance of each resistor and current through each resistor for n resistors in parallel?

These calculations are fairly straightforward, so it will be interesting to see what tools – vectors, matrices, loops, plots, charts, etc. – that you use to solve the problem. As always, how you document your calculations is important as your worksheet will be visible to the community.

Here is an example of three resistors in parallel, as drawn in Creo Schematics:

Resistors+Challenge.png

Find the Mathcad Community Challenge Guidelines here!

Comments

My Attempt:

ppal_1-1662083215898.png

@DaveMartin @DJNewman 

There seems to be an issue here. Cannot load or download files in this thread.

I managed to load once but now can download that file or load new files.

@ppal I can't either; probably because of the switch to the new style of "tips" that happened between when you posted and now.

Let me go complain to @Jaime_Lee  about it. What might end up happening is that this gets moved/remade over to the regular Mathcad board.

@ppal it's been reposted to the normal Mathcad board given the site-wide changes to how the "tips" boards work:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Mathcad-Community-Challenge-September-2022-Resistors-in-Parallel/m-p/822227

Please repost your own attempt there as well!

Version history
Last update:
‎Sep 01, 2022 03:16 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)