cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

2D and 3D plots suggestions

mzeftel
1-Newbie

2D and 3D plots suggestions

We're expanding the 2D plots and redoing 3D plots. Please let us know what you'd like us to add or change.

Thanks,

Mona
27 REPLIES 27

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-1209116)

On 11/2/2009 5:36:47 PM, Al Pergande wrote:
>Need more than 60k points per
>plot. Perhaps an option to
>under sample large data sets,
>either as default or better
>yet as a user option.
>
>Al Pergande

Include 'random sampling' option for very large data plots. regular sampling produces aliasing. Random sampling gives a broader overview.

Random sampling can be sufficient. [see Sparse Sampling of Structured Information (T. Blu, P.L. Dragotti, P. Marziliano, M. Vetterli) http://www.eusipco2009.org/Tutorials-g.asp#Tutorial%204
http://www.commsp.ee.ic.ac.uk/~pld/publications/ ]

Philip Oakley

On 11/17/2009 7:15:17 AM, Ted Diehl wrote:
>Mona, et. al.,
>
>
>2.) Make it so an array of
>text strings can be fed into
>the legend so legends can be made
>automatically from the
>worksheet. Similar ability for
>X, Y, and graph titles. This
>significantly automates
>graphing, improves clarity
>of the document, increases
>accuracy of the graph (for
>those that forget to
>change the legends manually,
>like everyone does).

Indeed, this would be a very helpful feature.

>4.) Any existing 2-D and 3-D
>graphs from MC 14 and before
>MUST work in Prime. Telling the user to
>recreate the graph is a
>NON-STARTER and it will
>be viewed by users and
>professionals as "Mathcad
>development cannot even
>convert a graph - uh???" -
>This will be as bad as the
>Mathcad 12 disaster.

I agree with this 100% More if that were mathematically possible. I have a huge base
of MC14 and earlier legacy code-- some quite sophisticated-- and recreating it all puts an enormous barrier against moving to MathCad Prime.

>5. Graphs need to copy to
>PowerPoint and Word in a meta
>format (plus >bitmap, and the other current
>choices) - the lines need to
>look better and >smoother (they currently MC 14
>look choppy and low res). In >Powerpoint, the
>graphs copied as meta can be
>ungrouped and manipulated in
>PowerPoint - very powerful for presentations and
>other purposes. This has long
>been an ability in Mathcad that is very
>helpful.

I agree. I always assumed that this was a bug that woudl be cleaned up.

>6.) Animation - IT has NEVER
>worked robustly in Mathcad -
>constant problems with codec, etc. It would be a
>great feature if it worked!

Agree.

>7) Allow user to lock (and
>control by drag as well as
>entering x and y size)
>the size of the graph box
>(this is the X and Y axis box,
>not the entire
>region). Now in Mathcad 14 and
>older, this constantly changes
>depending on
>what is placed on the axes -
>very frustrating when making a
>bunch of graphs.
>That you desire to have the
>same size.

In addition, more control over position of 3D plots within the 3D box would allow larger (hence better resolution) plots to be transferred to reports and presentations.

>8) The New Prime graphing tool
>was not good (I am being
>kind). We lost
>almost everything and got the
>ability to move the X and Y
>axis (which I
>really do NOT care to do
>often). The only good thing I
>saw was the ability
>to place units in a place
>holder.

In essence, the MCPrime graphing capability was extremely rudimentary. I assumed massive improvements would be made before we saw it again.

Joel S. Davis
Chief Scientist, Systems Engineering solutions
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
2201 Buena Vista Drive SE, Suite 100
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-938-7007
jdavis@ball.com

I second these:
5. Can we get mpeg instead of or with AVI? HD maybe?

6. I would dearly love to tie 3D plot view to the FRAME variable so I can spin something around and see it from different angles.

Many times I have had to manually rotate a 3D plot during a presentation, and it would have been so nice to click on a button and have it rotate at a user-programmed rate and direction.

Rich
http://www.downeastengineering.com/

While not exactly user programmed, you do have user controlled continuous spin available with mouse shift dragging.

>user controlled continuous spin available with mouse shift dragging

I agree; that's what I meant by manual control. It's just a bit distracting when I am trying to rotate the plot in a specific direction and talk at the same time, especially when I have some rotation in mind that is not parallel to an axis, and I can only rotate just so far with each mouse motion. Oops, what's that old saw about walking and chewing gum at the same time?

...and on my systems, I don't get the rotation reliably; that is, sometimes I must click and drag several times to get the rotation...and then it rotates at light speed, so I just get dizzy...

...so what I'd like is a feature that addresses these issues...

Rich

Rich Messender asked for something to address the controlled rotation
issue. Frame has been suggested (as part of animation). I have asked
for variables to be accepted as the angle parameters and we have all
been discussing programming. Therefore:
if we can invoke a 3-D graph from a programme, computing angles, the
function itself and scaling etc as we go and be able to set the
iteration rate (frames per unit time, probably a maximum rate) we
should be able to satisfy everyone. (we will need a [Stop!] button)
Mike.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 12/7/2009 9:10:50 AM, Al Pergande wrote:
>Yeah, but I can't make and
>capture a movie that way

You can actually. Set the 3D plot spinning, and then do an animation that includes the 3D plot. It will record the spinning plot, even though the animation is not causing it to spin.

Richard

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 12/7/2009 3:45:27 PM, Al Pergande wrote:
>Ok, but I 'm a whiner and I
>want control over the
>speed...and trajectory...and
>zoom...

Oh, me too. I want a lot more programmable control over how a graph looks. Titles, axis labels, projection angles, etc etc.

Richard
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

On 12/7/2009 4:38:41 PM, Richard Jackson wrote:
On 12/7/2009 3:45:27 PM, Al Pergande wrote:
>Ok, but I 'm a whiner and I want control over the speed...and trajectory...and zoom...
== Oh, me too. I want a lot more programmable control over how a graph looks. Titles, axis labels, projection angles, etc etc.

Me Too - I want a place on the Bandwagon! The bandwagon I tried to start 5 years ago never got off the ground ... err, whatever.

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?58646,12

Stuart
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

On 12/7/2009 5:00:19 PM, Stuart Bruff wrote:
> The bandwagon I tried to
>start 5 years ago never got off the
>ground ... err, whatever.

I'm afraid bandwagons aren't designed to fly. Unfortunately, this one doesn't seem to roll very well either. I think there are so many people on it it's overloaded, and it's been going so long the wheels are wearing out. Or perhaps the pony pulling it got too close to a units discussion, and is now a thoroughly flogged dead horse.

Richard

On 11/2/2009 4:48:41 PM, Mona Zeftel wrote:
>We're expanding the 2D plots
>and redoing 3D plots. Please
>let us know what you'd like us
>to add or change.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mona

Others have captured most of what I would have offered. A few other things:

1. A little more control over the contour labels in contour plots would be helpful. In many cases, it would be very helpful to have fewer occurrences of larger-font numbers, for example.

2. In general, better control of scaling and font characteristics for axis labels would yield much better looking plots.

3. For purposes of descriptive legends, it would be VERY helpful to have the same colors available for text fonts as for 2D and 3D plots.

4. While I can write logic to generate histograms, a plot variant for automatic 2D histogram plots would be very helpful.

5. While the suggestion was already made, I'll second it: a 3D scatterplot option would frequently be very useful.

Joel S. Davis
Chief Scientist, Systems Engineering solutions
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
2201 Buena Vista Drive SE, Suite 100
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-938-7007
jdavis@ball.com
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:JoelDavis)

Don't forget to allow every data point/patch to have an arbitary colour.

I particularly need this for some 3d imaging. This produces two 2d matrices, one with range, and one with intensity.

I want/need to be able to plot the 3d range surface (e.g. a face) with the face's intensity image psted onto it. i.e the points/facets/patches are coloured acording to an intesity coding (this could/should be via a colour mapping table)

In my case my deafult is a gray scale, but colour maps are useful when the data (intensity) depth is say 12 bit or more.

Philip Oakley

I'd like a crossed axis style such as we have in 2D plots. I created my own by adding 3 vectors, but that just clutters the worksheet and the plot parameter list. And if I could get icing on that cake, it would be that I could specify where the axes cross.

Many times I have a 3D plot, and want to know where something is wrt the origin, but the origin is "out in space" if my bounds are +- in any of the dimensions. This is especially true when all 3 axes are +-. Being able to move the axes to any location just makes it easier to illustrate a point; even if we get crossed axes only at the origin, I'd sometimes choose "none" and put my vector axes in.

Rich
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:mzeftel)

See here:

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?131571,77

The equivalent would be useful for 2D plots too. If I ask for 12 grids, don't just divide up the plot range and put them at ridiculous numbers like 1.2345656789. Or at least give me some way to force reasonable numbers.

Richard
SteenGroðe
6-Contributor

On 11/2/2009 4:48:41 PM, Mona Zeftel wrote:
>We're expanding the 2D plots
>and redoing 3D plots. Please
>let us know what you'd like us
>to add or change.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mona

Well, this is huge...

Hmm, both in 2D and in 3D I will like an easy way to draw graphs (graph theory). I will like to be able to fill any surface in those graphs.

Steen Gro�e

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

"Graphs" as in "Flow charts". And other similar mathematical concepts

Philip Oakley
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:PhilipOakley)

A 'bug' I found just yesterday is when the whole sheet is 'zoomed' e.g. 150% and the 'return mouse click poition' is enabled, the displayed cursor '+' isn't where one clicked.

This I think is an artifect of the sheet zoom, but should be added into the 'Unit Test' for the coders [i.e. they automatically test the code to ensure that the displayed + is in the right place when the worksheet is zoomed)

I was using this to return the coordinates of a pixel in a 2d FFT plot so that we could then calculate where a noise signal had come from. Each point on the plot reflects a different noise frequency in our camera's serial readout.

It has been a powerful tool, but wee needed to zoom the sheet to show managers and .... oops.

Philip Oakley
Top Tags