cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

A couple of formatting questions

PhilipLeitch
1-Newbie

A couple of formatting questions

Two issues:
Has anyone found a way to put brackets around a selection without adding on the ' at the end?

I'm adding brackets this way and then constantly removing this character.

Secondly - As anyone found a simple way of taking this:

floor(XYZ * ABC + HIG)

into this:
floor(XYZ * ABC) + HIG

???

Obviously with this short example you could just cut the HIG out and put it at the end, but assuming a bigger equation, moving brackets seems all but impossible...

Philip

1) Where would a ' come into the picture? If you want to add parentheses, just add parentheses.

2) Yes. Just add parentheses around XYX*ABC and then delete the outer parentheses.

On 8/25/2009 1:31:24 AM, Tom_Gutman wrote:
>1) Where would a ' come into
>the picture? If you want to
>add parentheses, just add
>parentheses.

Ummm.... because pressing a single quotation mark puts parentheses around whatever is hilighted (see attached image - the difference between the first and second line is that I pressed '). That's in Mathcad 14.

That's where a ' comes into the picture.

And pressing the magic "single quote" button DOES just that in Prime as well - but it adds the single quote as well... which is means it obviously has a different purpose (I think there was a comment on that earlier).

>2) Yes. Just add parentheses
>around XYX*ABC and then delete
>the outer parentheses.

Yes, but I was having problems with how to do that.

However, I've just managed to work out what the issue was. By attempting to open Parenthesis it always closed them on the other side of the variable I was working with - which is why I was having so may problems. I couldn't delete the parenthesis of the "floor" function, as I could only put new parentheses around the first variable.

But if I highlight the multiple variables and then open a bracket, it encapsulates the entire highlighted region. Problem solved. I can now remove the ones I want to remove and add the ones I want to add.

In Mathcad 14 this had a very different effect. The effect highlighting a region and pressing "(" deleted the highlighted region and opening a parenthesis - with no automatic closing of parenthesis.

Anyway - the fact that pressing "(" encapsulates the selection with parentheses is all I needed to solve my problem.

Philip

The ' in MC14 is the parenthesization operator. In MC' it is the function derivative operator, any parentheses it introduces are incidental and there just to maintain the order of operation. The keystroke to parenthesize an expression is a parenthesis (either left or right).

While some keyboard shortcuts have been kept from MC14, many have not and you need to look through the MC' documentation for the MC' keystrokes.

On 8/25/2009 3:07:57 AM, pleitch wrote:

>And pressing the magic "single quote"
>button DOES just that in Prime as well -
>but it adds the single quote as well...

It doesn't do that for me. If I select, for example, XYZ*ABC and press ' it does nothing at all.

Richard

Does ' work at all for you, in any context? Do you have the standard US English settings?
(To:TomGutman)

On 8/25/2009 4:30:07 PM, Tom_Gutman wrote:
>Does ' work at all for you, in
>any context?

Not that I have noticed. Is it supposed to?

> Do you have the
>standard US English settings?

Yes.

Richard

The ' is supposed to be the function derivative operator. If f is a function of one variable (f(x):=....) then you should be able to enter f' to represent the derivative of f (f'(x):=(d/dx)f(x)).

There seem to be a number of problems related to keyboard layouts and locale. Try following the language setting procedure to force the en-US setting.

What does the ' key do on your system? Does it enter anything?
(To:TomGutman)

Yes, you are correct. It does indeed work that way on my system. I just hadn't tried it 🙂

Richard
Top Tags