cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Changing number of decimals in WRITEEXCEL function

jvandenbrink
5-Regular Member

Changing number of decimals in WRITEEXCEL function

Hi,

I am writing a large matrix to excel and I try  to change the number of decimals it is writing to excel.

I use the WRITEEXCEL function. 

Is is possible to change the number of decimals before writing to excel?

Thanks in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As for the poster's original question, you still need to round/truncate the "extra" decimal points using a formula. However, this is a simple formula of =ROUND(,) that is not extremely computationally expensive Prepaid Card Status.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

Yes it is possible to use the "round()" function on a matrix of numbers before the writing to excel.

With no round statement.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

With the round function.

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Hello terryhendicott,

Thanks a lot for your help. So in order to round a large matrix, I have to use some for loops to go through that matrix. 

Looking at your example I still see that 15 decimals are exported to excel... A solution for this is to set the cell format in excel to 2 decimals for example, but then I have to perform this action every time I have exported data from Mathcad. 

Is is possible to only send two decimal values to excel?

Hi,

"So in order to round a large matrix, I have to use some for loops to go through that matrix. "

Yes the round function can be applied to a vector all at once so you loop through the columns of the matrix.

Capture.JPG

"Looking at your example I still see that 15 decimals are exported to excel... A solution for this is to set the cell format in excel to 2 decimals for example, but then I have to perform this action every time I have exported data from Mathcad. 

Is is possible to only send two decimal values to excel?"

It does only send two decimals to excel.  I formatted excel to show 15 decimal places.

Capture2.JPG

This is how excel shows without formatting straight after transfer.

Capture3.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Why not vectorize?

LucMeekes_0-1587145437224.png

LucMeekes_1-1587145446028.png

Success!
Luc

As for the poster's original question, you still need to round/truncate the "extra" decimal points using a formula. However, this is a simple formula of =ROUND(,) that is not extremely computationally expensive Prepaid Card Status.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Cambages)

There should be no need to use the ROUND function within excel. You can just set the number of displayed decimals in the number formatting section of excel:

LucMeekes_0-1587452280079.png

Success!
Luc

jvandenbrink
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

Thanks for you answer.

That method doesn't work, since Mathcad is overwriting the cell format in excel.

The round function does work:)

Announcements

Top Tags