cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Copy and paste definitions and expressions issues

SF_10192234
3-Visitor

Copy and paste definitions and expressions issues

Hi. I have been encountering some odd issues while copying expressions and eqautions in Mathcad Prime.

It would seem that everytime I copy an expression containing a variable it doesnt fully understand how to work with it afterwards.

This has been accouring both on Mathcad Prime 6 and 7.

Its quite hard to explain and show for that matter. But let say that I define a function f(x)=23x.

If I were to copy this expression from and, let say differentiate it, and afterwards create an equation from the output, it would be unable to understand x, as if x now has another meaning. 

This works fine if I abstain from copying the expressions and instead write them manually.

I have attached a small expample of this happening as a PNG.

I have failed to find a solution myself, but I have a slight feeling that it might be because of the PC that Im using.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@SF_10192234 wrote:

Hi. I have been encountering some odd issues while copying expressions and eqautions in Mathcad Prime.

It would seem that everytime I copy an expression containing a variable it doesnt fully understand how to work with it afterwards.

Its quite hard to explain and show for that matter. But let say that I define a function f(x)=23x.

If I were to copy this expression from and, let say differentiate it, and afterwards create an equation from the output, it would be unable to understand x, as if x now has another meaning. 

This works fine if I abstain from copying the expressions and instead write them manually.

I have failed to find a solution myself, but I have a slight feeling that it might be because of the PC that Im using.

Interesting.   It seems to be a question of Math Styles.    When entering f(x), both f and x have Math Style "-".   When entering f2(x), both f2 and x have Math Style "Variable".   Copying and pasting f2(x) retains the styles.   However, the x entered as the solve argument picks up the style "-".   

2022 05 07 b.png

Changing the Math Style to "Variable" gives the expected result (Style is under the Math Ribbon).

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@SF_10192234 wrote:

Interesting.   It seems to be a question of Math Styles.    When entering f(x), both f and x have Math Style "-".   When entering f2(x), both f2 and x have Math Style "Variable".   Copying and pasting f2(x) retains the styles.   However, the x entered as the solve argument picks up the style "-".   

2022 05 07 b.png

Changing the Math Style to "Variable" gives the expected result (Style is under the Math Ribbon).

Stuart

You sir are a saint! It was exactly that. You have no idea how happy I were to see someone else recreating the issue. I was on the edge of insanity. 

Have a great weekend! you are a lifesaver!

Top Tags