cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Customised unit file deleted in MC15

IanFraser-disab
1-Newbie

Customised unit file deleted in MC15

I have just installed MC15 on my machine. During the installation my version of MC14 was deleted.

The problem is I had customised both the mcdunitsystemsi.mpl file in the mpl folder and the unit-system-SI.xml file in the units folder. When MC14 was unistalled both of these files were deleted.

I am now going to have to spend some considerable time replacing these files.

Why does the MC15 installer delete files that have been modified. Instructions for changing these files has been supplied in the MatCAD help, so why were they not left in situ the same as the additional files and folders I had added to the Hanbook folder?

7 REPLIES 7

You don't back up your PC?

I do, but that is not the point. No software installer should be so badly written that it cannot detect when a file has been changed.

Ian Fraser wrote:

I do, but that is not the point. No software installer should be so badly written that it cannot detect when a file has been changed.

Really? But then again, what can we say about MS Office when it overwrites my templates on a re-install?

SM1
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:IRstuff)

No,MS Office does not delete any template files located in the User Template folder and Workgroup Folder!

I have requested the similar feature (User and Workgroup tempalte folders) to Mathcad for a long time ago to avoid moving customized templates and workgroup files with every upgrade and copying company wide template files to every user's computer. Mathcad needs to concentrate on improving user friendliness before adding any more mathematical functionality. There is really no big improvement to Mathcad since MC11 and for what I have seen here so far I am inclined to avoid upgrading to MC15.

SM

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:SM1)

SM wrote:

I have requested the similar feature (User and Workgroup tempalte folders) to Mathcad for a long time ago to avoid moving customized templates and workgroup files with every upgrade and copying company wide template files to every user's computer. Mathcad needs to concentrate on improving user friendliness before adding any more mathematical functionality. There is really no big improvement to Mathcad since MC11 and for what I have seen here so far I am inclined to avoid upgrading to MC15.

I've done the same. I have to customise the registries to create those folders for every version and every user...

It needs to be more user friendly in that sense.

Philip

Ian Fraser wrote:

I would never rely on that assumption. If I modify a file, for example my default template, I always have a copy somewhere other than in the program folder. If the person that wrote the installer assumed that everyone would have a back up copy of such files, then they wouldn't have much reason to check for modified files.

Never install personal items in an application install CD. If you had extracted your personalized unit system, you could then re-install by just pasting the corresponding file in the install CD directory.

Top Tags