cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Display units

ptc-1176891
1-Newbie

Display units

I am used to evaluating an expression, then pressing {tab} to get to the location where I can change the displayed units. Now after evaluating, the cursor goes to the end of the display, after the default units. This is fine, except:
1. Just starting to type does not replace the default units.
2. Highlighting the default unit and then typing does nothing. In all other programs, highlighting then typing results in DELETING the highlighted item, and REPLACING it with the new text
3. To replace the unit I had to highlight, then {del}, then type the desired unit.

The fewest keystrokes would be to just start typing after display (similar to current behavior, where {tab} moves the cursor to a location after the display unit). If someone wants to modify the display, such as using a scalar on the result, they would insert an operator. Typing anything else could / should be interpreted as changing the displayed unit. Next-best is for the user to highlight the display, then typing would REPLACE it. The current behavior requires too many unneccesary keystrokes.

Thanks,
Preston
1 REPLY 1

It gets worse. If you're a clumsy typer and make an error, but exit the edit mode before going back in to correct it, the units display can wind up with something like:

(K)(1/K)(W/m^2*K^4) where you erroneously entered K^3, and went back later to fix it. If you make another mistake, another pair of inverses is added to the display, ad nauseum...

That's a gigantic leap backwards, for both ease of use and ease of debugging.

TTFN,
Eden
Top Tags