cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Displaying values in an equation

ptc-4557925
1-Newbie

Displaying values in an equation

Hi!

I am new at using PTC products, including PTC Mathcad.

Few hours ago, I downloaded and installed Mathcad Prime 2.0, trial version,

and of course I ended up with a problem.

In fact, maybe it isn't a problem at all.

I don't know is it possible to write and calculate the equation in the following form:

a = 5 mm

b = 17 mm

c = 25 mm

d = a * b * c = 5 mm * 17 mm * 25 mm =

d=2125mm3

Basically, I just need to know is it possible to write equations in the way that you write the equation

and Mathcad inserts numbers automatically in to equation and calculates and show in the way that

is shown above this sentence.

Hope I'll find help here

Thanks in advance!!!

6 REPLIES 6

Something like the attached helpful?

Norm

You can do that (in prime 2), but it takes some manipulating

a = 5 mm Yes, where the = sign is the one you get with : (:=)

b = 17 mm

c = 25 mm

d = a * b * c = 5 mm * 17 mm * 25 mm = The = between d and a is the declaration (:=). Requires symbolic,

explicit and may be problematic with units.

d=2125mm3 Yes, where the = sign is a true = (means evaluate) may require editing to get desired units.

Thank You both very much for your time and help.

Using explicit command in mathcad would be a great help, but I'm afraid that in my case I won't be able to use it.

For simple case, like our example (a,b,c,d) this wold be a nise solutin, but with what program can i solve multiple equations, for example , calculating the strength of shell under extarnal or interna pressure.

The thing is that I started to work reacentley and immediately I have my hands filled with jobs. I will have to do calculations of thermodinamic and strength of boiler shell, etc.

I want to speed up all those calculations, because I am loosing so much my own energy on calculating in excell, rewriting in word, etc.

I need an application where I can write the formulas based on EU standard or TRD, edit it to work and look nice, and that it has the function of automatic inserting the number in to the equation to eliminate any possible mistake.

I was hoping that mathcad will be my solution, but what I can tell, it is to complicated for my needs, because units are equally important as number and resaults.

I was hopping that I'll find some help here, and I would be very thankfull if you may know of some application in which I could do those kind of calculation.

I am not looking for something special what can do all graps you need, I just need an application which allows me to input equations, simple loops, results with units, margins, header and footer setup..

Than you both for replaying to me, and if i could ask for a favor and replaying to me about my problems.

Thank you in advance.

Marko

MathCad should be able to do what you are asking. You need to learn how to use it. There are several good tutorials under help to start with. There were E-books included with purchase of MathCad 15 that have many applications, one of which I included a excerpt for your reference.

MathCad will function much better than excel in engineering computation, but using the two together, when you have large data accumulation (in excel), importing the data into MathCad to perform calculations is an excellent tool for any engineering toolbox.

It is difficult to explain the full functionality of MathCad. I've been viewing the collaboratory for more than 5 years and am amazed at some of the applications that get worked out.

I hope the attachment is helpful.

Norm

Attached is a pdf of a routine job calculation I did some years ago. This is just an example of some routine design calculations, not intended for distribution or as a model of how to use Mathcad, or best practice in structural engineering, nothing fancy, just a simple example.

The reference files at the beginning include design and analysis programs/functions that are used in the calculations.

I think what you are looking for is accomplished using functions with argument lists, like M(a,b,d)= and not the explicit operator.

These calculations use functions defined in the reference files in combination with standardized blocks of calculations, like a wood beam design, that are just pasted in as needed.

Generally, the design is done with variables, like the ground snow load. If I change that, all the calculations which are functions of the ground snow update. I just have to review to see what changes need to be made as a result.

After you look at it, please bun it.

Thank you all for fast replaying. I'll look in to all possible solutions and try to find the best one for my case.

Hope I'll be of help some day to you all .

Top Tags